How My Nut Allergy Made Me More Monogamous

Started by Macabre, September 17, 2013, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nameless

Quote from: Ra3chel on September 28, 2013, 12:43:28 AM
Gonna be a dissenting voice here and say--

Monogamy is irrelevant here--the issue is trust, boundaries, and disclosure. If she were as careful with multiple trusted partners as she is with her bf, that would be fine, too.  :heart:

YKW, FWIW, garlic can sometimes be a good metaphor for talking about foods and bodily fluids--you know how if someone eats a whooooole lot of garlic, you can smell it in their sweat? Pretty easy to use that as a basis for particles from foods showing up in non-digestive fluids, and generalize from there.

I think the title they used for her article was...a safe title...and didn't imply anything about promiscuity.

Meaning --- it might have been more aptly title, "Promiscuous Casual Encounters Isn't for Severe Food Allergic Individuals" --- where promiscuity means being casual and non-discriminate.  Folks will severe allergies have to be cautious (not casual) and be discriminate with who they kiss and etc.  Little to no impulsive actions with complete strangers (meaning...if you start to talk about allergies and ask about what they ate in the past 24 hours, they are not a complete stranger anymore).

I agree with Rachel, has nothing to do with monogamy.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Ra3chel

Quote from: nameless on September 30, 2013, 12:40:11 PM
Quote from: Ra3chel on September 28, 2013, 12:43:28 AM
Gonna be a dissenting voice here and say--

Monogamy is irrelevant here--the issue is trust, boundaries, and disclosure. If she were as careful with multiple trusted partners as she is with her bf, that would be fine, too.  :heart:

YKW, FWIW, garlic can sometimes be a good metaphor for talking about foods and bodily fluids--you know how if someone eats a whooooole lot of garlic, you can smell it in their sweat? Pretty easy to use that as a basis for particles from foods showing up in non-digestive fluids, and generalize from there.

I think the title they used for her article was...a safe title...and didn't imply anything about promiscuity.

Meaning --- it might have been more aptly title, "Promiscuous Casual Encounters Isn't for Severe Food Allergic Individuals" --- where promiscuity means being casual and non-discriminate.  Folks will severe allergies have to be cautious (not casual) and be discriminate with who they kiss and etc.  Little to no impulsive actions with complete strangers (meaning...if you start to talk about allergies and ask about what they ate in the past 24 hours, they are not a complete stranger anymore).

I agree with Rachel, has nothing to do with monogamy.

Adrienne

Oh, I agree--just pointing out that monogamy vs. casual promiscuity is a false dichotomy, which nuance seemed to have been lost in both article and discussion.
The 3 is silent.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview