login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Safe Gingerbread Houses  (Read 14309 times)

Description:

Online YouKnowWho

Safe Gingerbread Houses
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »
Publix has both gingerbread men and gingerbread houses that do not have a warning (Made in Canada).  I have not called because they have those pesky wheat and egg things in them ( :evil:), one also listed soy.

I had to laugh at Create A Treat's warning.  It has a may contain for prenuts.  Are those malformed nuts?

We usually get a foamie house from one of the craft stores to complete as our project.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

Re: Safe Gingerbread Houses
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
A foamie house lasts much longer, too . . .  good idea!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »
prenuts. lol.

Tell me more of your foamie houses because the natives are not only restless here but fighting.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
LOL.  I think I've seen them at Michaels, maybe?
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Foamies%C2%AE-Foam-Kit-Giant-Gingerbread-House/dp/B005ST68DG

The manufacturer is Darice - I always find them at Michaels but Michaels is not behaving today :)  Have seen them at Hobby Lobby and Joanns as well (or something similar).  You can always pick up wood ready to decorate birdhouses and stickers as well :)
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
My kids used to love doing the foam projects, but I hate to just because of the fact that they DO last longer. I don't have room to store those things anymore. And you have to store them just so or they'll get smashed.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hk

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »
I make my own.  It's not difficult, it's fun and the house smells great for weeks.  I use the gingerbread man recipe from vegan cookies take over your cookie jar and a template from Martha Stewart.  It's one of the best days of the year and dd loves it.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
oh, that sounds fun!
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline KSLaru

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
I'm sooo excited!  I found a "Gingerbread Cottage Kit" at HyVee that has no peanut warnings, and does label for shared facility of other allergens.  The brand is Bee, and it has Tootsie Roll Midgees and Twisties, Double Bubble gum, Dots, Flower Power (gum?).  It's made in USA/Canada.  There was another variety, but it had Mrs. Fields cookies w/tree nut warning.  I haven't called about it, since it seems to have good labeling.

DD1 was so happy - all we've ever found before were Wilton's, so that was out.  Honestly, I didn't really mind not having this as one more thing to find time for over Christmas, but this time I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »
Read on the Nut Free Mom's facebook that Sam's Club has a Nafta brand gingerbread house that is safe. I have not seen or looked at it but I know in the past, they have had some safe gingerbread house kits.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
Willy Wonka is supposed to be nut free - seeing those in Publix.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
I know there are others on here like us who are not allergic to peanut so for those folks...

I found a snoopy dog house gingerbread house kit (makes 4 dog houses) at Bed Bath and Beyond that had a peanut warning, but not tree nut warning.  I've thrown out the box now so I can't say what other allergens there were listed.  It was by Wild Baker.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
Wonka had a house this year made in Canada that I bought at Toys R Us - it's on our kitchen table, DD did a nice job decorating.

Offline bleh

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »
I saw an Orbit Cookies train / gingerbread house at sams club. It didn't list any nuts but it also didn't say nut free. Oddly it says "nut free" in the description on the sams club website. I am going to give them a call to confirm. My store did not have the Nafta brand gingerbread house.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gingerbread-house-kit/prod5190012.ip

Edit: Well apparently orbit cookies is one of Nafta's brands. Their site says they're nut free.

http://www.naftafoods.com/aboutus_quality.htm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:21:52 AM by bleh »
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline bleh

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
My wife just talked to the company about the Orbit Cookies Gingerbread house at Samsclub. The fondant and frosting are safe but the candy is not safe for nut allergies. The hard candy is tree nut free but not peanut free. The soft candy (gum drops) is not safe for either peanuts or tree nut allergies. If everything was safe, they would have put a nut free logo on the box.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)