FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cough Syrup  (Read 2712 times)

Description:

Offline jessma03

Cough Syrup
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »
Hi my DS has a bad cough and I was just looking for some safe options on cough syrups to give him.
He is allergic to peanuts,eggs and seafood. Those are the main things we worry about!! Thank you for any help!
DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

Offline candyguru

Re: Cough Syrup
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »

A spoon of liquid honey is a good natural remedy for coughs for young children (but never give honey to infants under 1 year of age due to the risk of botulism). This is what we give our kids when they have a cough.

They do not recommend cough syrup for children unless they are older than 6 years old.  I have PA and have used Delsym many times (though I have never called the company)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:17:54 AM »
I know some people here don't like the "natural" type stuff (so I've been told) but Chestal works great for my kids and I. And I don't think it's all in our heads, because when it worked for my daughter, she had no idea I wasn't giving her regular cough syrup (I tried Delsym before that and it did nothing for her).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:36:31 AM »
We use Triaminic (?) I think it is cold and cough. Haven't called on it and never had a problem. We have also used Delsym.