login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dump and Poke Cakes  (Read 1179 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Dump and Poke Cakes
« on: October 10, 2022, 10:45:34 AM »
A dump cake is dumping all ingredients into a pan and baking. Personal experience says, don’t just dump…some mixing is best.

A poke cake you put the batter into the pan, poke holes and pour something on top that then goes down into the holes. (Pudding is one thing often used.)

Offline SilverLining

Re: Dump and Poke Cakes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »
Pumpkin Dump Cake.

https://www.aroundmyfamilytable.com/pumpkin-dump-cake-recipe/

INGREDIENTS
1 small can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
12 oz can evaporated milk or coconut milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 tsps pumpkin pie spice
1 box yellow cake mix (or 2 boxes GF Yellow cake mix)
1 cup whole pecans
3/4 cup melted butter (dairy free or regular)

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated (or canned coconut) milk, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until well blended. Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared baking dish. Evenly sprinkle cake mix over the top of the batter. Sprinkle pecans over the cake mix then pour melted butter over the top.
Bake for 50 minutes at 350F. Check for doneness by inserting a knife or toothpick, when removed it should come out fairly clean. Allow cake to cool before cutting. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold. Garnish with whipped topping. Keep any leftovers refrigerated.
Notes: This recipe is delicious with 2 gluten free mixes and dairy free swaps!

~~~~

I used canned coconut milk and skipped the pecans.

After I poured on the melted butter, I should have swirled it a bit more to cover all the cake mix, but the few spots not wet were still really tasty.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 08:39:36 PM »
I’ve made several versions of this cake.

Ingredients
1 Can, 16 ounces lemon pie filling
1 Package, 15 ounces yellow cake mix
4 Ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1/2 Cup butter, cut into thin slices

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9" x 9" pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Spread lemon pie filling in the pan.
Top with half of the cake mix.
Dot with cream cheese and cover with the remaining cake mix.
Top with butter in a single layer, trying to cover all areas of cake mix leaving none exposed.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

I like the butter slices over melted butter because you can get total coverage if you slice really thin.

I’ve made this with blueberry pie filling instead of lemon and also with spice cake and apple pie filling.  I really like the little bites of cream cheese.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 05:36:48 AM »
I'm not a pumpkin pie person but I'd consider eating pumpkin cake at Thanksgiving.  Will have to see how many people are coming and what everyone wants.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 01:14:04 PM »
This is called a dump cake, but it does require mixing and then putting in baking pan. But, it’s pretty simple.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/277007/chocolate-cherry-dump-cake/

Ingredients

1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

1 (15.25 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix

2 eggs

1 teaspoon almond extract (Optional)

1 (15.75 ounce) can prepared chocolate frosting

Local Offers
00000  Change
Oops! We cannot find any ingredients on sale near you. Do we have the correct zip code?
ADVERTISEMENT
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Place cherry pie filling, cake mix, eggs, and almond extract in a large bowl and mix by hand. Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch square pan.

Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool cake on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a table knife around the edges to loosen. Invert carefully onto a serving plate or cooling rack. Let cool completely, at least 30 minutes. Frost with chocolate frosting.

I used Betty Crocker Devil’s Food cake mix, and it fell. I’m skipping frosting, but we have some dairy free ice cream.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 05:37:32 PM »
DH loved the cake. I liked it. Next time I’ll use a 9x13 pan. In the square pan it rose too high. The centre was raw, but the pieces around edges would have burned.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 04:34:51 AM »
Blueberry pie filling with lemon cake mix makes a great dump cake.  My recipe doesn't have eggs.  Just pie filling, dry cake mix over the top and covered with a stick of butter, sliced thinly enough that you can cover a good amount of the cake mix.  A lot of recipes call for a can of crushed pineapple.  Sometimes I use it, sometimes not.  If I do, I prefer to use the little can as opposed to the normal 15 oz can recipes call for.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 05:03:42 PM »
That sounds delicious.