FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 218201 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »
Yum Becca, that sounds amazing!

Matzoh Brei (eggs and matzoh scrambled together which sounds foul, but is totally delicious), gefilte fish, and salad. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
Tonight is a motley of leftovers.  Ham, mashed cauliflower, roasted brussel sprouts and onions, roasted parsnips, sweet potatoes and carrots, cole slaw and steamed broccoli.  My veggie loving SIL works for an accounting firm and has been working 12-15 hour days since December (Easter was the first day she hasn't been in the office since Christmas).

Not to mention DH is still doing low carb/high fat.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #317 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »
Sweet potato tamales (with shallots and pineapple folded in) with a frijoles negros salsa that also included poblano, green onion, pear, pineapple).

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:59:06 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
Fabulous dinner - I saw this recipe on Rachel Ray while on the treadmill at the gym.  I adapted it slightly, and it was fantastic.  Very impressed, since I'm not usually turned on by her stuff, but this was the perfect antidote to heavy holiday eating.  I think she suggested Red Snapper, I used Cod Fillets, and made some other minor tweaks.

Fish Poached in Crazy Water

3-4 Fish Fillets
28-32 oz can of San Marzano or other good quality tomatoes
3 cups water
Olive oil
1 small fennel bulb, grated
1 small onion, grated
3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
bunch parsley, chopped coarsely
salt/pepper/crushed red pepper to taste

I sauteed the fennel, onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, then added the tomatoes, water, salt, peppers, and parsley.
Simmer in a low, wide pan with a tight cover for 45 minutes, then remove cover and simmer for about 15 more, so sauce is reduced.
Add fish fillets skin side down and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes, turn over carefully and simmer for about 5 minutes more.

This should really be served with toasted ciabatta or sourdough to soak up all the gravy, but I didn't have access to that so I toasted some whole wheat pita and made garlic bread out of that. 

Great flavor and texture, and since it required little attention I was free to deal with laundry and P/T stuff while sauce was cooking.  No reason the sauce couldn't be made ahead either, and the fish dumped in after it's reaheated.  Dinner on the table in 10 minutes - that's the way I like it.  :thumbsup:

N.E. US

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
Vegetable matzo ball soup.
The 3 is silent.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
I'm going to try to make some Flammekeuche for dinner sometime this weekend.

recipe
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
YUm Becca - that sounds goooooood!

I made french onion soup yesterday....need gruyere and bread to serve it tonight.   

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
Funny, Stinky, been thinking about French Onion Soup as I have 2 bags of onions plus a huge sweet one here.  I forgot I had a bag and bought more.  Roasted some veggies yesterday and getting much mileage out of those.  Lunch yesterday, on our steak sandwiches last night, in my omelette today, lol. 

So, thinking onion soup tonight(will have to do chicken noodle for the kids, though).  Will cheat for them with Perdue short cuts chicken. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
Baked chicken, roasted baby red potatoes, salad. 

Must get back on board with weekly menu planning; I've really gotten off track lately.
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
Going to make something like this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/chicken-in-creamy-tomato-curry-chicken-tikka-masala-recipe2/index.html

But adding onions, and added some Tandoori seasoning to the marinade.  Have it marinating overnight and will get it grilled earlier so I can throw the sauce together later.  Time right before dinner will be short.  Maybe even do the sauce earlier but finish with cream(or yogurt to cut some fat) later.  Have a head of cauliflower to go with it.  Brown rice.  Kids will get the chicken thighs marinated in plain yogurt and some season salt and lemon, on a kabob.  Hope they eat it.  Salad, rice and strawberries will be available for them, as well as an opportunity to have our meal.  Yeah, right.   ~)

But i felt inspired to cook, quite suddenly. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:12:26 PM by becca »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #325 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
Yesterday I made an amazing broccoli quinoa soup that is easy, fast, and a great substitute for broccoli/cheese soup.  Under 200 calories!  I put the recipe in the Quinoa thread.

DS had some leftovers tonight before heading back to school for rehearsal
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
For DH and DSD: Salad with turkey, hardboiled eggs and sunflower seeds.

DSD loves salad like crazy.  She asked if we could have it again tomorrow night - think that I'll probably do pasta with side salads.  Used the leftover eggs and turkey to make up a salad to send in her lunch tomorrow - she'll be excited.

Offline krasota

« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
http://gapersblock.com/drivethru/2011/01/27/pre-tomato_italy/#more

Tried this Genovese onion sauce today.  Problem is, we get up too late and are too busy to do it on the stove alllll day.  I ended up trying the crockpot.  It's good, but definitely needs to go through the longer cooking process to really caramelize and break down those onions.

I subbed parsnips for the carrots.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #328 on: May 05, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
dry rub bbq chicken (no sauce for ds to worry about with his diabetes), homemade mac-n-cheese (plenty of carbs there ;D) and roasted veggies.
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
Krasota, that looks good!  A bit like a pot roast recipe I have done, layering the beef and onions and some red wine in a dutch oven and putting it in the oven for 3 or 4 hours.  Over pasta would be wonderful.