FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 212560 times)

Description:

Online YouKnowWho

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »
I need to start stalking YKW's dinners tweaking them for no dairy cuz I know you even factor paleo in.

Noodles could have been covered in olive oil/vinagrette and the cheese encrusted chicken bites could have been olive/coconut oil and herbs.

DH is reading Protein Power now.  Prior to this it was Low Carb/High Fat, before it was Forks Over Knives (where we as a family we discovered veggie lust), Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (juicing craze) and Food, Inc. but Atkins primarily. 

Now most of the meals are a mish mosh of all.  DH tolerates veggies, the rest of us crave them.  He wanted bigger hunks of meat (that has cut down so we can go with appropriately farmed animals and free range eggs).  If the kids didn't have carbs during the day, they do get a portion at night.  I prefer to do them as rice pasta while DH is happy to serve them ice cream which sends them into sugar comas. 

Really wishing I had spaghetti squash because I found an awesome vinagrette to serve with Italian sausage.  Maybe next week.  I have 8 acorn squash that need to get started on this week LOL

Tomorrow's dinner will like be ground fed beef, peppers and onions with turnip greens and broccoli.  DS1 had great joy in helping with dinner (pepper chopping tonight) so I may reward him tomorrow :)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
Doing turkey meatloaf tonight with flax and oats for filler, not too much.  Does that work for your allergies, TT and YKW?  No recipe, but Ijust throw in seasonongs we like and the oats(sort of pulverize them a bit with my fingers as I sprinkle them in), and add a handful of ground flax.  I have done this without, and recently with, egg, just add some other liquid as needed instead of egg. 

Nice an soft meat for my still aching and healing(I hope) mouth.  I will have to figure out soft veggies for me, as am sorely missing my spring mix salads I have every night with dinner.  I have upped my carbs a bit, wondering if they aid in the energy needed for healing.  Sweet potato, beans in my soup,milk, a bit of ice cream.  Ok, last night, a binge on ice cream. 

I will cook pasta for the kids and man of the house.  I just skip it for me.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #347 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
DS1 is weird with oats even GF ones.  I have down Quinoa flakes (then I think they did have a gluten warning, now they don't - I cannot remember) which worked well.

To be easy though, I saute veggies or grind up the little bits we have left and do a 2/3 meat, 1/3 veggie ratio.  Kids get their veggies (it's a great way to sneak mushrooms in because DS1 hates them) and a soft meat.  I also do a mix of ground beef and pork or use a ground beef with a higher fat content to keep it moist.

Also works well as my meatball recipe which the kids love.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #348 on: October 02, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
It will with quinoa. We usually make a sort of meatball with a lot of green onion and a little corn starch for binding but I think this would work for disguising DS2's veggies and quinoa. You've no idea how many times I get the cooked quinoa handed back to me by him. Apparently, he doesn't care for my explanation, "But the dietician told me to do this."

The Asiany meatballs wouldn't work in pasta sauce but these will and I think he's ready to try a spaghetti meal. Crossing my fingers on tomato. I'm fairly sure GV olive oil is safe for him (no warnings). YKW, the Ancient Harvest quinoa flour reads gf facility last I checked. I keep my head in the sand about milk in their facility or lines. Sad, but true.

Once I figure out which OT thread to pollute with my personal needs I will probably pick the above brains for meal planning ideas. I have to carb up on cardio days in smaller, more frequent meals. Then on lift days I should overeat paleo with high protein.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:58:25 AM by twinturbo »

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #349 on: October 02, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »

The Asiany meatballs wouldn't work in pasta sauce but these will and I think he's ready to try a spaghetti meal. Crossing my fingers on tomato. I'm fairly sure GV olive oil is safe for him (no warnings). YKW, the Ancient Harvest quinoa flour reads gf facility last I checked. I keep my head in the sand about milk in their facility or lines. Sad, but true.

Once I figure out which OT thread to pollute with my personal needs I will probably pick the above brains for meal planning ideas. I have to carb up on cardio days in smaller, more frequent meals. Then on lift days I should overeat paleo with high protein.

Okay I so read this wrong three times and then slowed down.  I thought you were tossing off concerns that sand was found in the milk  :dunce:

But yes, lesser of the evils.  I totally get that.  Eggs are wiggly on the avoidance scale, really depends on the manufacturer regarding shared lines.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
Tonight's dinner - grassfed ground beef, onions, peppers, broccoli and a toss of tamiari sauce (I know I am not spelling that right, GF soy sauce) and a side of turnip greens with diced turnips.

Tomorrow night is chicken strips with onion and spinach with roasted acorn squash.

I am basically trying to do a veggie diet with a hint of meat which DH is adjusting to rather reluctantly.  His numbers came back from the dr and are pretty awesome in some respects but needs tweaking.  Calories do matter dear.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2013, 06:21:38 AM »
Last night was clean out the veggie drawer, so sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli and green beans tossed in garlic and oil and combined with mushroom ravioli (not safe, DS is away at school).  Topped with a bit of pesto and reggiano.  Yum.

Tonight the dudes can deal on their own or take something out of the freezer.  I'm working late.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
Does curry chicken with kale sound gross? This round has ground chicken, some yukon gold potato, carrot, thinking of adding some fresh kale. I'm settling on brown rice because I can't bring myself to eat curry with quinoa though usually I like quinoa. But the kale?

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2013, 01:06:02 PM »
I think kale makes everything taste good.

The kids now like kale if I saute it in bacon with garlic and onions.  We also have grease keep for bacon so if I am lazy will just spoon some of that in  :misspeak:
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
Bitter greens and bacon always go together. Or just pickled like mustard green. Fresh kale in curry it will be. I'll keep the curry light and the kale barely cooked for chewiness. I like that seaweedy crunch.

Offline hopechap

« Reply #355 on: October 04, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
so I managed one whole week of vegetarian dinners.  (not vegan, though)  moTues (ate out)- spaghetti w/pesto/kale chips/ little pepers stuffed with tofutti cc and herbs ala McCabre's pic  Tuesday- veg chili and rice Wednesday-      , thursday spanakopita , friday tacos. 

I signed some online thing to be vegetarian for a month. I am looking up Mc's dishes :-) 

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #356 on: October 04, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
hopechap - Food, Inc on Facebook does meatless Monday's.  They have some great recipes.  Forks Over Knives has some great recipes as well.  I also loved www.eatveg.com  When we did Forks Over Knives, I became addicted to squash - butternut, acorn, spaghetti as a great high fiber/lower carb alternative.

So we ended up going out to eat last night.  Tonight I sort of revamped the other nights dinner that I planned.  Italian sausage with onions and spinach with a side of alpine mix.  Went over well.

It's obvious DS2 is not a vegan, he came down and sniffed and said "mmmmm, meat"  :evil:  But he loves his veggies too.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #357 on: October 08, 2013, 12:30:06 AM »
Tonight:
An amazing veggie quiche and a black bean pumpkin soup. Wowza that soup was good. DH cooked a can of black beans, sauteed an onion with a sweet potato. Then he blended them together and added some cumin with some other stuff--can't remember but stuff used in southwest cooking--and served it with some plain yogurt, lime and cilantro. 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #358 on: October 08, 2013, 12:31:17 AM »
so I managed one whole week of vegetarian dinners.  (not vegan, though)  moTues (ate out)- spaghetti w/pesto/kale chips/ little pepers stuffed with tofutti cc and herbs ala McCabre's pic  Tuesday- veg chili and rice Wednesday-      , thursday spanakopita , friday tacos. 

I signed some online thing to be vegetarian for a month. I am looking up Mc's dishes :-) 

Just now seeing this.  :heart:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
We had a pseudo-fancy dinner tonight to celebrate DH's birthday with dsd, who will be with her Mom for the weekend.

Chicken cordon bleu wrapped in pastry, roasted potatoes, mixed veggies.  Ice cream for dessert later - neither DH nor I like cake.  Sparkling wine for DH and I, sparkling grape juice for dsd.