imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 207778 times)

Description:

Offline hedgehog

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #825 on: January 27, 2020, 06:31:03 AM »
I made myself a good no-kitchen dinner last night.  I bought a chicken split in half.  I seasoned with salt and put it in a crockpot with fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley), just throwing the sprigs in on top.  It was yummy!  That will be lunch today as well.  I ate it with a dinner roll, raw veggies from the salad bar, and some fruit. 
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #826 on: February 02, 2020, 07:55:37 PM »
HH, I love doing whole chickens in my crockpot.  Easy and yummy.

Tonight was sort of Irish/Mexican fusion.  Corned beef street tacos and roasted potatoes seasoned with garlic and Tajin.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #827 on: February 06, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
I am planning to make onion soup tonight. Instead of Italian or French bread, I’m using some home made burger buns that are a bit to small for burgers.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #828 on: February 06, 2020, 03:29:54 PM »
Will you roast the onions?  I loooove homemade French onion soup. Now I want to make it this weekend, minus the bread and now I cannot have Daiya either (They added potato)... but still. Sounds delightful.

Does anyone have a really good use for coconut flour?  I bought a bunch but everything I try turns out unpalatable, even with extra soaking time.  I don’t want to throw it out because it was expensive and it is safe for me to eat.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #829 on: February 06, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
I Carmelized the onion before putting it in the pot. Really simple recipe in the Instant Pot.

But in future, I will use French stick bread.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #830 on: February 06, 2020, 11:27:18 PM »
What's the Instant Pot recipe for that?  Mine is to put an onion, with skin, on a baking sheet in the oven at 200C/4000F for almost an hour.  It's time consuming -- and well worth it.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #831 on: February 09, 2020, 03:09:45 AM »
Not instant pot, but I do caramelized onions in one of my slow cookers.

I'm kind of obsessed with caramelized onions at maybe an unhealthy level.

I fill up (completely fill) one of my larger oval slow cookers with sliced yellow onions, salt them a bit and add a tablespoon or two of butter.  Pretty sure I have done it without the butter just as well though.  Cook on low and stir every once in a while until they look like I want them to basically.  After they get cooked down quite a bit, I use a couple wooden chopsticks to prop the lid so that some of the liquid will evaporate.

I fill as small pyrex container and keep in the fridge.  The rest I pack into freezer bags and freeze flat.  I put them in all sorts of things.  Almost every grilled or hot sandwich I make has caramelized onions on it and I eat a lot of sandwiches.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #832 on: February 09, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »
Will you roast the onions?  I loooove homemade French onion soup. Now I want to make it this weekend, minus the bread and now I cannot have Daiya either (They added potato)... but still. Sounds delightful.

Does anyone have a really good use for coconut flour?  I bought a bunch but everything I try turns out unpalatable, even with extra soaking time.  I don’t want to throw it out because it was expensive and it is safe for me to eat.

I have two recipes that might work for you.  I will start a new thread.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #833 on: February 09, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »
Wow Janelle, what a great idea, and sounds delicious.  If only my cranky stomach agreed.  :tongue:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #834 on: February 09, 2020, 09:02:04 PM »
That sounds amazing, Janelle!  I love caramelised onions.  Right now I'm on a sautéed mushroom kick... plain, with truffle salt, with Earth Balance, with balsamic vinegar... they all taste great.  They're my quick lunch of choice lately. 

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #835 on: February 18, 2020, 02:14:47 AM »
Sausage gravy and biscuits.  Which DSD apparently likes far more than I remembered.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #836 on: February 18, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »
Tofu scramble with onion, tomato, bell pepper, and hot sauce.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #837 on: February 18, 2020, 05:44:51 PM »
Tacos for Dh and Ds, taco meat, a bit of cheese, salsa, and a dollop of Greek yogurt for me.   
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #838 on: February 18, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »
Ropa  Vieja, black beans, salad. Can’t wait to get home and eat.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #839 on: February 18, 2020, 10:01:35 PM »
I looked up Ropa Vieja.  The translation is “old clothes.”  😂😂😂
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy