login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Good egg substitute for cornbread?  (Read 24787 times)

Description:

Offline Mookie86

Good egg substitute for cornbread?
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
I don't normally bake, so I'm not familiar with which egg subsitutes work well in baking.  I'm using a cornbread mix, and the recipe calls for adding 1 egg, 1/2 cup oil, and 3/4 cup milk.  What do you think I should use as an egg substitute?  I'm not sure whether it'd be better to use 1/4 c applesauce, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon of water, or something else?

I pulled those two substitute options that I mentioned from an egg substitute chart.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Good egg substitute for cornbread?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »
Are you you out of eggs? Or are you trying to cook for someone with an egg allergy?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
I used to use energy egg replacer.  But I *think* I have done corn bread with no eggs or sub, other than the liquid.  I hate to promise you, but I think I did it that way.  It has baking powder for leavening, right?  Go a little heavy on the oil for the added moisture you get from yolk.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
Maybe some buttermilk?  I'm not familiar with eggless-baking, but buttermilk might also give the richness and moisture that eggs give.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
Are you you out of eggs? Or are you trying to cook for someone with an egg allergy?

I'm going to a vegan Thanksgiving celebration, so that's why I don't want to use egg.  With all of the egg allergies here at FAS, I figured it was a good place to ask this question.

A couple of vegan friends so far have advised using Ener-G egg replacer or bananas.  I heard the Ener-G can make it kinda dry, and I don't know how a little banana flavor would go with cornbread.

I'm making the cornbread Saturday morning, so any advice through that time would be great!

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
xanthum gum or flax would work for binding

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
We've definitely used flaxseed meal.

I like that best in cornbread; without gluten, it really needs a BINDER to hold together well, and the egg replacer tends to make things kinda dry, I agree.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
I've used gelatin (if you know of a vegetarian/vegan one) in cornbread with pretty good results. I think it was 1T gelatin + 3T warm water = one egg.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:32:17 AM »
I ended up making a pumpkin bread, and it fell apart.  However, the crumbled pieces are yummy!  dh is at the store now buying something that we can bring.

I made pumpkin bread because I didn't have the right size pan for the cornbread.  The cornbread mix called for 8x8 pan, while the pumpkin bread mix uses 9x5 pan.

I didn't have ground flaxseed in the house, so I used applesauce as an egg substitute.  The pumpkin bread mix called for 2 eggs, so I used 1/2 cup applesauce.  That didn't work to hold it together, and it fell apart when I tried to slice it.  It's still delicious, though!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
Glad it tastes good!!  :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
You could probably make a great trifle with it.