FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Bread - nut safe  (Read 18391 times)

Description: What do you use?

Offline brownie

Bread - nut safe
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
We have always used Wonder and recently added Homepride (since owned by the same company).  Now that they have shut down the plants, I can't get ahold of any safe bread.  No stuffing for Thanksgiving...no sandwiches.  I called Bimbo today and they said there are no nut free facilities at their company.  I don't buy it but whatever...she told me there could be cross-contamination, just not from the same line (they label for that).  So what do you all use?

Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline Linden

Re: Bread - nut safe
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »
We use Pillsbury tube breads, Ener-G brand breads, and Fiber One. Van's has a GF frozen french toast that we've used.  Last time I checked none of those were on shared lines with peanuts or tree nuts.

Fiber One is owned by General Mills but the breads are baked and distributed by different local bakeries under license to GM.  Today I decided to call the bakery in my area (Gold Medal Bakery in Fall River, MA -and thank you, Jessica, for pointing out that bakery is not owned by GM :bye:)  They said their Fiber One breads are not on shared lines with peanuts or treenuts.
However, some of the Fiber One breads do contain sesame and other seeds (and are on run on the same lines.)  They are NOT good at labeling for sesame. Sometimes it is in the Contains statement at the end, and sometimes it is in the ingredients list.  And I've never seen a "May Contains" for sesame even though the bakery just told me they do share lines.

I can see why people make their own bread!
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
We use Pepperidge Farms Sandwich Bread. I called last year and was happy with their answers. Haven't had a problem!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
We make our own-- or use flatbread from a few specialty bakers (Kontos, Kangaroo) but that may not work for anyone avoiding sesame.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

alliedhealth

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:18:57 AM »
Sunbeam told me they make their giant loaf and queen loaf in nut free facilities- you may want to see if you get same response. We used to use Merita (same company that closed). We have started using it (PA ds)

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
If you're on the East Coast and not avoiding sesame, we've used Martin's potato bread (they also have a wheat version) without problem.  Martin's also makes pre-cubed potato bread that's available around Thanksgiving.  We also use Pepperidge Farm.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
Over TGiving holiday/week my bread machine got a REAL workout (it is a Zojirushi).

I do still buy Pepperidge Farm and have occasionally done Martin's for buns (see maeve's post) . . .

I'm finding that with the cost of commercial breads, two teens in the house, and cost of gas to go to store . . . my bread machine is a REAL HELP!

~e
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »
Pepperidge Farm.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »
Thanks to all. I can't make bread due to other child's anaphylaxis to wheat so this helps mightily.

alliedhealth

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
By the way Sunbeam is Flowers Foods. they did ask me when I called what region I was in so as to be sure of the manufacturing plants involved.

Offline AlwaysAngela

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
I am brand new to this and the first thing I was told was to invest in a good bread maker, so I did just that and so far all of my loaves have turned out great and even my non-GF, nut free, family and friends like them over store bought brands.  It might be worth a try.   :yes:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Bread machines are a great investment.  Even though there are a few safe breads for me in my area, I use the machine for buns, pizza dough, and specialty breads.

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »
Just putting out there that previous posters sharing nut (and egg) safe wheat breads help someone in my position who has too many anaphylaxis-inducing allergens (not intolerances) that typical GF 'bread' recipes won't work. Otherwise, yes, loved and now miss my Zojirushi. So anyone sharing nut low risk wheat breads you are helping others and I thank you.

Offline justme

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
What about Great Value Brand by Walmart? I trust them for other products. For some reason we never used them for bread. But we are in the same boat since no more Wonder.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »
we're just avoiding PN and go by their labels and have been very happy with nature's own (http://naturesownbread.com/products/)...also, no high fructose corn syrup

Good luck!
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....