FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airlines and peanuts  (Read 26246 times)

Description:

Traveling Soon

Airlines and peanuts
« on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
Hi, I know I can scroll through and look at old threads, but I am wondering if anyone has any current information.  We are avoiding peanuts.  The possible airlines for our route would be Alaska, American, United, US Airways, and Delta.  I have already ruled out Delta.  I think they serve peanuts regularly, and even if they make our flight "peanut free", I figure there will be residue in the air filters.

Does anyone have somewhat current information?  Thank you!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Airlines and peanuts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »
Last time my DH flew United (about four months ago) they were still completely peanut-free.   They have been for over a decade.

One thing to watch for, though, is that the airline you book through doesn't "contract" certain routes with another carrier.

If they do, you'll need to do a lot more digging to figure out who to talk to.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
I second United out of the airlines you listed.

Traveling Soon

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Thank you.  It is just so hard to get a straight answer out of these people.  I called all five of those airlines before posting.  United said no peanuts, no tree nuts on the plane.   So then I said what about first class and oh yes, they have mixed nuts.  So then I said do the mixed nuts include peanuts and she said "well, it doesn`t say that it doesn`t include peanuts, so I would assume it does."  Huh?  Just give me a simple yes or no.  We won`t be flying first class, so I guess sitting far back in coach would be okay if they have mixed nuts in first class including peanuts.  Alaska said no tree nuts, no peanuts, not even in first class.  American I called three different times and got three different answers ranging from no peanuts or tree nuts in coach to it is possible that we will serve items with peanuts.  Does she mean may contains? (which we don`t worry about for airborne exposure).  Or does she mean actual peanuts?  She said they don`t pass out bags of peanuts, but "I think when I flew one time they may have served trail mix."  This is the rep on the phone!  US Airways said no peanuts, no tree nuts, but then later in the same phone call she says they might pass out cashews and almonds!  So frustrating.  I don`t remember them being this wishy-washy the last time we flew, which was several years ago.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »
Alaska partners with Delta, I think. I haven't taken Delta or Alaska for almost ten years so I'm out of date there but Alaska's website says first class meals may contain nuts. Reading between the lines (always fun) I think United and Alaska have similar CYA statements for first class & nuts, then coach & passengers eating their own peanut products. United and Jet Blue we've flown multiple timesin the past several years. They were both okay I didn't experience anything knocking my socks off either way. I'd still say United because they're the larger carrier and don't partner with Delta but recon yiur flight path through Expedia first to see which airlines actually populate. From there it's all constant contact with the airlines, board early to wipe down, cover the seat, defense, defense, defense.

It is frustrating.

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:06:34 AM »
Sorry about grammar and spelling above. Tiny screen and no time to edit.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
We fly American (they do serve tree nuts in first class) and US Airways. 

Because of where we lived, over the last five years we've almost flown US Airways exclusively. If you do this and go through Charlotte, their home, there are some safe options for PA eating-wise.  There's a BK and a Mexican build-your-own-burrito kind of place (like Chipotle, Moes and Qdoba--but not those). Their allergy info was good. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
I thought Delta was so good recently? Do American and US Airways serve peanuts on most flights?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
The information I have (which can be verified on their websites and by calling and speaking with a disability/special services person):

American, US Airways, and United do not serve "blatant peanuts" (meaning: bags of peanuts, peanut candy, peanut energy bars, etc.) but all of their snack selections for sale and in first-class are "may contain traces".  There are usually tree nut  mixes sold in the snack packs, but those do not contain actual peanuts. Neither do the tree nuts in first class. However there may be traces and peanut oil.

Delta and Southwest still serve peanuts. If you ask, they won't for your flight if given enough time (meaning, call ahead and get it on your reservation). The planes...for me...still REAK of peanuts and I've seen residue everywhere. I can't fly Southwest anymore...I used to b/c of cheap flights...but then I'd get contact hives or be sniffly the entire time.

I have no idea about Continental or other airlines b/c I just never had the opportunity to fly them.

Sometimes - if you don't get the right answer or get a mixed answer from a CS rep --- CALL BACK --- and speak to someone different or ask for their manager/supervisor. Every airline now has a statement on peanuts...it's there...no guessing or wondering --- the CS rep just has to find it or pass you to someone who does.

REMEMBER: any airline CANNOT make another passenger bring out peanuts...even next to you. They can ask...but they can't force them. You however, can move your seat or ask the other passengers nicely to refrain or get up and snack away down the plane a little bit.

Good luck :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »
Continental used to serve peanuts.  They may still.  After they refused to let us fly (and refused to serve something other than pn on a flight from Houston to Denver), we refused to fly them ever.  And I could see their headquarters from my office when I worked in Houston. I hated them.  They pulled another member here off a plane when they found out her DD was PA.  They had flown from LA and had to change planes in Houston. They got pulled off in Houston and were not allowed to continue their trip.

Horrid airline.  I wouldn't fly them at all. 

As Adrienne said, American and US Airways do NOT serve blatant peanut products.  :)  We even encountered sunbutter on a US Air flight a number of years ago.  They do serve Blue Diamond almonds--but in the paid snacks (at least last time I flew, which was in April).  I find that people don't buy those much. 

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »
I flew recently from LaGuardia to denver on Frontier.  They actually wrote me a ridiculous response years ago...they still are "unfriendly" about their serving decisions IMHO. 
My ds wasn't with me, so it wasn't a problem. 
I noticed in the airport stores and little kiosks so many offerings of nutty things.  Bags of tree nuts, straight up peanuts, it seemed more than usual.
on the way there, after take off, the lady next to me broke out a bag of peanuts.  It was so irritating to me.  The smell just annoyed me so much LOL
They served (for purchase) large bags of peanut M&M, lots of stuff with nuts. 
we flew delta a few years back and they made a buffer but still sold outright nutty stuff.  the people in the buffer had to promise they wouldn't eat nuts/peanuts during the flight.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Traveling Soon

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »
I talked to the Special Assistance Department at American and they said they do not serve bags of peanuts, but they do serve on some flights mixed nuts in coach.  I asked if the mixed nuts contain peanuts and she said yes.  I asked three times to clarify is it a may contain peanuts (as in shared facility, shared equipment, etc., which would be no surprised in a bag of mixed tree nuts) or is it actual peanuts in the mixed nuts.  She said it can be actual peanuts.  I have a feeling that it is really only may contains, but she was probably giving a CYA answer.  But if she is telling me that there may be mixed nuts including peanuts passed out in Coach, I have to avoid that airline.

United said mixed nuts in 1st class including peanuts.  We can live with that, just won`t sit anywhere near the front.  Alaska says no peanuts, no tree nuts on any flight (I assume that they still serve may contains).  YAY!!

U.S. Airways said no peanuts, but they do serve cashews and almonds, and possibly other tree nuts.

So it looks like really it is only Alaska and United at the middle or back of the plane that will be options.  Maybe U.S. Air, but I have a feeling if they pass out bags of almonds, they might pass out bags of peanuts (even though they say they don`t).  I don`t want any surprises at 30,000 feet. 

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »
I've flown US Airways and never had them pass out nuts in coach (but this was before they were acquired by America West).  I've also flown American and there were no nuts served (however, people did bringtheir own trail mix).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Jessica

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
So American and United told one person they don't serve peanuts at all (possibly  may contains but not actual peanuts)  and another person that they do (in the mixed nuts)? This is confusing.

For those allergic to tree nuts-do you find that the problem with traces in the air filters is the same as with peanuts?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »
Traveling Soon, as I have said a few times, US Air does not pass out peanuts.  You might have a feeling about it, but I would rely on recent experienced, not your gut.  You can't just assume they pass out peanuts because they serve a few almonds.

First of all, as I said, they do not pass out bags of almonds. They serve bags of (peanut free) Blue Diamond almonds to those who buy them as a snack--the nuts (and I guess this includes cashews, though I don't know what brand). For the last 5 years I lived in a city with US Air as the only airline and ie flown several times a year.  The only nuts served are those that people buy as snacks, and I don't see people buying snacks much.  Still, unless you have to avoid airborne contact with (the few) almonds and cashews, it would be okay for someone with peanut allergy.

On every flight I have checked for peanuts. And as of last April 30, they did not serve any.

I think you can believe them.