FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Successful trip to Malaysia and Singapore  (Read 4674 times)

Description:

Offline Irene

Successful trip to Malaysia and Singapore
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
Hi,

I just wanted to share that my family and I have just returned from a two and a half week trip to Malaysia (and 2 days in Singapore).  Thank God everything went safely and smoothly.  I felt very thankful when I was unpacking all my son's UNUSED Epi Pens and other medications! 

We made this trip to see family; Malaysia would not have been a destination of choice otherwise given that the foods to which my son is allergic (nuts and shellfish) are very common in the Malaysian diet!  A lot of time and effort went into figuring out the logistics of how to travel there as safely as possible (we took United Airlines) and how to feed my son while over there (I went to the local market almost every day to buy fresh meats and vegetables to cook his meals).  If anyone is thinking of traveling to that part of the world with a food allergy, I would be happy to share more details about how we managed over there.  It was the first time for my son in a foreign country and certainly a big milestone for my family.

Irene

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Successful trip to Malaysia and Singapore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Amazing!  :)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
Wow. I do think it would be beneficial to know some of what you did. I've assumed anywhere in that part of the world is off limits for us (peanuts, shellfish, sesame).

It's great you had such a good and successf trip!  Glad you posted.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Irene

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »
Okay, a bit more details then, for others who may need the info in the future.  This is, of course, from my point of view only, and I would say I have a pretty tight comfort zone when it comes to my son's FA.  The info is also only for Malaysia, where we spent most of our time. 

When planning the flight itinerary, I first chose an airline that did not serve peanuts as a complimentary snack to passengers (United). Next I considered the length of time flying over the ocean (vs. over land) as well as the location of the stopovers.  I tried to minimize the trans-ocean legs and chose stopovers where it would be relatively easier to find safe foods in the event of an unexpected delay.  Other than the drinks, I did not let my son eat the foods served on the plane.

While in Malaysia, we stayed in my parents' home.  I'd given them specific instructions months in advance about 'de-nutting' the house and also asked my mom to buy me some new pots and pans.  My mom was great about "getting it" for the most part so I felt comfortable cooking in her kitchen.  For those who don't have family living locally, I would recommend renting an apartment or hotel with a kitchen.  I went to the local market daily to buy fresh vegetables and meat to cook my son's meals.  I'd packed with me some U.S.-made spices and condiments (bouillon cubes, instant gravy and sauces, etc.)  Thanks to the British influence in the country's past, there are grocery stores that sell some food products imported from the U.S., Australia, and the U.K.  The only local foods my son ate were the juices, fruits, veges, and meat. 

I know some people are okay with carrying a chef card and eating out in a foreign country but even though I speak the local language, I do not trust the level of allergy awareness there to allow my son to eat food prepared by others.  Certainly not in Malaysia where peanuts and shellfish are so prevalent in the local diet. 

Lastly, I must say that the medical facilities in Malaysia are actually very good, considering it is a developing nation (and I'd confirmed this with our allergist here, as well as a doctor friend in Malaysia).  Many hospitals also have their own ambulance service...I had all those numbers programmed into my cell phone, of course.  I'm not sure I would have decided on making the trip if the country did not have medical services that could handle anaphylaxis.

All in all, I feel that I did what I could to minimize the risks to a point that was acceptable to me, but the reality is I could not eliminate the risks completely, so ultimately there was a step of faith involved.  I did my part and trusted God to do His part to keep my son safe.

I hope all this will help someone else at some point.  If anyone has other questions or would like additional info, please ask! 

Irene

Offline candyguru

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:22:54 PM »

I visited Singapore for a week several years ago (I am PA).  Everyone speaks English, which makes allergies much easier to manage than when you visit a country where English is not commonly spoken.  I had no problems there.  I ate Japanese food, Korean food, Singaporean food (chicken rice, kaya toast) and had a great vacation.  Even found some safe Nestle UK chocolate there (Kit Kats)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)