FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airlines and peanuts  (Read 26436 times)

Description:

Offline SweetandSour

Re: Airlines and peanuts
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
 I fly delta exclusively.  We just flew with them this past weekend.

Realized I already answered. It's been a long day.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:51:11 PM by SweetandSour »
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
Do they not serve peanuts?  And if they don't any longer, how long has it been?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »
We just booked flights with United, one of which is international.  We didn't have much of a choice as United was the only airline that could get us to our destination.  (Normally we fly WestJet everywhere, they are essentially PN/TN-free, but they don't go where we need to go.)  United's customer service via email was less than stellar as they kept telling me there are no peanuts served onboard when I was asking about tree nuts.  *sigh*  They never answered my question about warmed nuts or allergy accommodations, even after I asked three times.  Needless to say, I'm a bit scared of this flight.  We are not flying first class and have requested seats near the back of the plane.  We are hoping the gate attendants and flight attendants will be more helpful.

Does anyone here have experience with United and tree nut allergies?  I don't want to have to walk through first class as I board if they are warming nuts.  Will they let me preboard?  Should I wear a mask?  Other suggestions?  I have a history of airborne reactions. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:27:34 AM »
Delta still serves peanuts.  Crew back from NJ was giving this poor woman a hard time about preboarding, refused to make announcement and were not helping trying to get her seated with two kids (they were spread out all over despite prior scheduling because they were bumped by others with priority boarding).

I grabbed wipes and helped wipe seats down (I was two rows up from where she ended up) - patrons were very understanding around her when she asked row in front, behind and next to her to refrain from peanuts (and had other offerings if the cookie or pretzels were not enough for them).  Her son was also dealing with milk and egg allergies.

Left a foul taste in my mouth about Delta honestly.  They are a preferred carrier for DH's office so I had access to free miles.  Thankfully we are too broke to fly with kids LOL
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
We just booked flights with United, one of which is international.  We didn't have much of a choice as United was the only airline that could get us to our destination.  (Normally we fly WestJet everywhere, they are essentially PN/TN-free, but they don't go where we need to go.)  United's customer service via email was less than stellar as they kept telling me there are no peanuts served onboard when I was asking about tree nuts.  *sigh*  They never answered my question about warmed nuts or allergy accommodations, even after I asked three times.  Needless to say, I'm a bit scared of this flight.  We are not flying first class and have requested seats near the back of the plane.  We are hoping the gate attendants and flight attendants will be more helpful.

Does anyone here have experience with United and tree nut allergies?  I don't want to have to walk through first class as I board if they are warming nuts.  Will they let me preboard?  Should I wear a mask?  Other suggestions?  I have a history of airborne reactions.

Yes, we preboarded, we were at the rear of the aircraft-- boarding through 1st class is typical, but with a longer-haul flight, they may not "warm" food service until later-- after takeoff.

Our gate agent and flight crew were very nice about it-- asking those around us to refrain from eating peanut/treenut items on our 4h flight.

We did bring a mask, and covered our seats, in addition to the clorox decontamination routine during preboarding. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »
Thank you, CM!  That makes me feel a lot less nervous about this flight.  I'm not a nervous flyer par se - the planes don't bother me - it's the abundance of allergens that freak me out.  (I've reacted on planes before - hives mostly, but also breathing difficulties pre-dx.)  So your experience is good to hear.  We will come prepared with wipes and long sleeves/trousers. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
We were pretty freaked out, as well, when we got the exact same run around via CSR and the phone during booking.  It was not a good feeling, but we went with it because they were still (seemingly) the best of a series of increasingly bad options.   :misspeak:

Turned out that the flight crew was gracious and understanding on both our United and Aer Lingus flights, and DD had NO problems on either flight (and she, like you, definitely would have if residue had been present in appreciable amounts).
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Scout

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
Flying out on Tuesday.....yikes......Hawaii

Got the plane sheet.....all my scripts are up to date, travel size packs of Clorox wipes.....etc
I am a nervous flyer...........anyway.....before allergy....

wish us luck......flying United.   does not serve peanuts themselves in anything according to website and CS person.
Tree nuts yes.......but she eats those......not on a plane of course...bt not allergic.  so if they give thme out in first class, we are not in first class....lol

so for those of you who follow me on Facebook....... :watch: I will be posting some pics.  Instagram also......but I don't think anyone here follows my little instragram......I have it mainly to follow my kids......haha

Offline Scout

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »
Flying out on Tuesday.....yikes......Hawaii

Got the plane sheet.....all  scripts are up to date, travel size packs of Clorox wipes.....etc
I am a nervous flyer...........anyway.....before allergy....

wish us luck......flying United.   does not serve peanuts themselves in anything according to website and CS person.
Tree nuts yes.......but she eats those......not on a plane of course...bt not allergic.  so if they give thme out in first class, we are not in first class....lol

so for those of you who follow me on Facebook....... :watch: I will be posting some pics.  Instagram also......but I don't think anyone here follows my little instragram......I have it mainly to follow my kids......haha

Offline Scout

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »
sorry ...didn't mean to quote....meant to modify

but I guess that just shows my level of nervousness.....lol

twinturbo

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
Have a terrific vacation, Scout. It's going to go great. I just flew 3,000 miles with Mr. Allergic-to-everything and made it. My older PA EA allergic boy flies regularly no issues. Dunno if it helps but hope it does.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 01:00:07 AM »
Scout I hope you have a wonderful time. They sell wine on airplanes!  :yes:

I'm glad your fam is getting a nice big vacation. It will be great!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 01:07:32 AM »
We finally booked tickets for a July trip to Orlando. US Airways. Gee thought I wasn't going to have to go to the airport in Charlotte for a long time. We used to have tingly to Charlotte to get out of our town. The airport is such a migraine inducer.  The carts go BEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP with flashing lights. It's so stupid. Other airports aren't as bad.

But it was too expensive to fly Anerican. I'd much rather out my feet on Texas soil, even if only for an hour it I'm just happy to be going!!

Offline Tummyache

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
Beware!  Travelers on any airline can bring aboard their own snacks...like peanuts.  Oh dear! How do I know what's safe for me may not be safe for other possible super-sensitive passengers? This is really scarey! I sure wouldn't want to cause others to be sick.  In my case, for example, I am allergic to some grains, all dairy, and am fructose intolerant--so, I always bring along my own snacks...rarely can I eat any offered airline foods [I stick to water and unsweetened tea to drink].   We usually take along hard cooked eggs, almond/walnut mix,  carrot/celery sticks, and rice crackers. Also, I take along a small can of tuna packed in water to top off a plain veggie salad without dressing which I order at the layover airport.  We travel international so travel is usually a long, all-day affair, allowing plenty of time to go through customs coming into the USA.  Going without food is not an option, since I also have a problem with hypogycemia
Dairy free + gluten free diet, fructose intolerant; pollen + molds, latex, some medications

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
Yep, but I would avoid egg and fish in a closed area like a plane. And nuts. That's just me, but it's what I do/would do.  DS is not allergic to tree nuts and I eat almonds. I also enjoy hard boulded egg. But I would worry about the protein remaining on The surfaces of a plane. And I would worry about airborne protein with both (I don't eat fish becaue of  cross contamination I have a shellfish allergy--airborne, too).

My son is allergic to celery, but it's not airborne.

I don't know what I'd do on a very long flight. You have my sympathies'