FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airlines and peanuts  (Read 26411 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Airlines and peanuts
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 06:15:47 AM »
I just did two X-country trips on Jet Blue, which now serves a mixed nut snack (well, mostly sesame sticks to be honest) as one of its snack options.  On the flight to CA, I overheard one of the flight attendants asking people in the rows ahead of me not to eat any nut products because someone in their area had a severe nut allergy.  There was no general announcement, nor were nuts pulled.  IDK what the customer's specific request was wrt accommodation.  Nobody complained, BTW.  Everyone was cooperative.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Kaleigh

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »
I flew on Delta this past week and was told that my flight would be peanut free after I informed them of my allergy. However, as snack and beverage service began the whole plane was served peanuts and there was a very strong odor throughout the plane. Luckily, I did not have a severe reaction. The flight attendants told me (with a little attitude) that they were not told about my allergy. Be careful on Delta!

Offline starlight

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
I second the "be careful on Delta" sentiment. After reading an article online, I started following Xander Singh from Passion Pit on twitter, he's PA, and they ended up storing the peanuts right next to him at the back of the plane, even though he told them he's PA.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
I recently flew Southwest (and I know most of you would not, but there a few that do) and when the were giving out the snacks, a gentleman asked if they had any peanuts.  The flight attendant politely informed in that there was a peanut allergic passenger on the plane and therefore they were not serving peanuts.  I think they had 4-5 other choices of snacks for everyone.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
I flew on Delta this past week and was told that my flight would be peanut free after I informed them of my allergy. However, as snack and beverage service began the whole plane was served peanuts and there was a very strong odor throughout the plane. Luckily, I did not have a severe reaction. The flight attendants told me (with a little attitude) that they were not told about my allergy. Be careful on Delta!

Be careful on ANY airline.

Seriously-- we flew three separate long-haul flights at three VASTLY different times of day departing and arriving at five different international airports, on three different (but supposedly all "great") airlines-- United, Aer Lingus, and Air Canada-- back in March and April.

I'm a freak about documentation, planning, and advance notice.  I told all three airlines about my daughter's allergies when we booked those flights in DECEMBER.

Not one check-in agent had a bit of information about it.  So we told THEM, too.

Not one GATE agent knew a thing about it.  So we told THEM, too (which was a near-disaster in Chicago as we wished to pre-board the flight and cover DD's seat, wipe things down, etc.).

NOT A SINGLE FLIGHT CREW KNEW IN ADVANCE.  (Except in the case of the Aer Lingus flight, and that only because the gate agent, in a total hissy fit, had opted to "tell" on us in the hope(?) that the pilot would eject us from the oversold flight.)

We were actually IN THE AIR before either the United or Air Canada flight crews were made aware of my DD's nut allergy.

Truly not kidding.  It was amazing and not in a good way.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
I'm a bit nervous of our flights with United next month.  I noted the allergy when I booked the flight and then contacted them to confirm it would be on my file, but their reply didn't comfort me at all.  Kind of a CYA reply that they don't have allergy accommodations and cannot guarantee a safe environment.  (They don't serve nuts or peanuts onboard but I've heard they may roast nuts in first class.)  Fingers crossed that we won't have any trouble.   (I'm definitely airborne reactive.)

Too bad WestJet doesn't fly to where we're going on vacation this year. :( 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:15:21 AM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline starlight

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »
I recently flew Southwest (and I know most of you would not, but there a few that do) and when the were giving out the snacks, a gentleman asked if they had any peanuts.  The flight attendant politely informed in that there was a peanut allergic passenger on the plane and therefore they were not serving peanuts.  I think they had 4-5 other choices of snacks for everyone.

I only fly Southwest. Disclaimer: I am not airborne or contact reactive. I know this for a fact. For 'just in case' purposes and for my own peace of mind, I preboard, get a seat near the front (I get to be one of the first off this way too, yay), and wipe down everything I'd come into contact with anyway because I have a serious hands-touch-my-face problem. You mark it down online under the disabilities, then you go to the gate agents (not the touch screen do it yourself things) and they print out your ticket and a slip you give the flight attendant when you go on board. They're usually amazing about it.

I would definitely NOT recommend Southwest for PA folk with higher sensitivity though. Note I said "usually". One time, this flight attendant with a queen bee vibe didn't tell anyone and the plane got served peanuts anyway. Again, not an issue for me, but woah not good for other people. Since I knew I wouldn't have a problem, I didn't make a fuss right then and there, but I wrote them when I got home and mentioned that I'm not that sensitive but they could've killed someone, and Southwest, being customer service stars, freaked. They gave me my money back for the flight and then did a whole investigation, and THEN even wrote me back again later to tell me where the communication breakdown happened and that they were doing more training.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
I always confirm at the gate and when I preboard to wipe my seat. It's not been an issue. I also fly early when they are serving  biscuits anyway.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
Sun Country does not serve peanuts!!  They're based at MSP, so this is good news.  The fact that a group DS is travelling with wants to use them makes this relevant.  They sell a trail mix that has almonds and cashews, however.  DS is not allergic to those nuts, though of course he won't eat that.  They also sell M&Ms but plain ones.

:thumbsup:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline bleh

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
I'm a bit nervous of our flights with United next month.  I noted the allergy when I booked the flight and then contacted them to confirm it would be on my file, but their reply didn't comfort me at all.  Kind of a CYA reply that they don't have allergy accommodations and cannot guarantee a safe environment.  (They don't serve nuts or peanuts onboard but I've heard they may roast nuts in first class.)  Fingers crossed that we won't have any trouble.   (I'm definitely airborne reactive.)

Too bad WestJet doesn't fly to where we're going on vacation this year. :(

We're going on a united flight in a few weeks as well. Flying sucks!
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »
I always confirm at the gate and when I preboard to wipe my seat.

:yes:

Likewise.

If I have the option, I will ALWAYS fly JetBlue. They've been by far and away the most consistent, accommodating, and generally on the ball.

United's policies are wildly inconsistent. They don't serve blatant peanuts--I think--but whether they'll ask other people to refrain from opening them is pretty much a grab bag.

Always, always, always 1) call the airline a day in advance, 2) check at the gate, 3) preboard, and 4) check with the flight crew. ALWAYS.
The 3 is silent.

twinturbo

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
JetBlue's service is always hit and miss for us. They are obviously more accommodating on nuts than not but on one leg of our flight with DS2 they did not serve a powdered cheese snack and even asked if wheat stuff was okay. Sometimes with DS1 and nuts they're just neutral on it. Lately it's been very hard to pre-board because they've started selling a new pre-boarding service that they let go before even people with medical needs. Then they sandwich in medical needs in a short time before general boarding.

Offline SkyRibbons

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
We flew Jet Blue in August 2013.  The nut snack ingredients say it has no peanuts, and although my daughter isn't tna, we just avoid.  I chose JetBlue because it specifically says it doesn't serve peanuts, along with reading the info others have posted here on airlines.  At the gate, we alerted them to our allergy and were asked if we wanted to preboard to clean the seats, and they said they'd have a buffer zone of two rows either way.  At snack time, the couple in front of us asked for nuts.  The attendant just said "no nuts."  I'd fly them again.