FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Other foods/MFA/EE

Garlic Allergy

(1/2) > >>

dinazg:
My 4-year old son has multiple food allergies, including garlic - a real toughie to avoid. He never ate it, it just showed up in a blood test his allergist did when he was not even 1 yet, since he had severe eczema.  So I'm not 100% sure he's actually allergic garlic because we've kept him away from it and so he never had a reaction, but his blood and skin tests since then do indicate he might be allergic. My question: has anyone had a garlic food challenge?  What foods did you introduce and what reactions were you looking for? Can you recommend any allergists that know a lot about garlic allergies? Thanks so much!!

Macabre:
I do think there's someone here with a garlic allergy.  I will try to remember who it is. 

Jessica:
There's a member called jessma03 whose ds is allergic to garlic.

I think PurpleCat has a dd allergic to garlic.

rebekahc:
I agree that you should consider the possibility that your son might not be allergic to garlic since he was diagnosed through testing only, and you're wise to seek an allergist to do a food challenge.  Finding one who's an expert on garlic allergy will likely be near impossible since it's not a very common allergy.  I'd suggest just finding an allergist who is very familiar with food allergies and up on current research, testing, diagnosis, treatment, etc.  If you're comfortable sharing the region where you live, I'm sure our members would have suggestions of which allergists are good in your area.

As for how to introduce the garlic, I'm not really sure.  The allergist doing the challenge might have some specific protocol (s)he follows.  If not, I'd probably want to use a food that I know my child likes that tastes good with garlic added.  Like bread w/ garlic butter instead of regular butter.

PurpleCat:

--- Quote from: Jessica on November 28, 2012, 02:01:43 AM ---There's a member called jessma03 whose ds is allergic to garlic.

I think PurpleCat has a dd allergic to garlic.

--- End quote ---

You are right!  DD can not eat any form of fresh or dehydrated garlic.  Garlic powder is OK - it is so processed that the protein is altered and does not cause her to react. 

In hindsight it explains so much with DD and pizza.  Most times she would gobble it up and other times take one bite and not want anymore.  We found out when she ate hummus and had anaphylaxis.  Her tests after that event showed class 6 for sesame and class 3 for garlic.  Now we know which local pizza stores use garlic, powdered garlic and no garlic.  The details that clog my brain! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version