FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School has suggested a 504  (Read 3790 times)

Description: Need advice for meeting next week

Offline Jenmag7

School has suggested a 504
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
My DS is 8 yr and is PNA, TNA, and has asthma.  He is currently in 3rd grade.  We haven't had a 504 so far and things have gone pretty well over the past few years.  We have a health plan in place and the school lunches are peanut free school wide (they even serve Sunbutter sandwiches!).  He keeps one epipen in his classroom and one in the school office.

I've debated over the years whether or not to push for a 504, but things were going fairly smoothly so I just didn't rock the boat.  Well, I got a letter in the mail from the school's principal about a month ago saying that they were reviewing all the students with health plans at the school to see if they qualified for a 504, and that if we were interested in a 504, please return the enclosed form.  I was happy to see THEM being proactive, so I decided as long as they were suggesting it, I should go ahead and see if he qualifies and get one in place, just to protect him in the future and to make the teacher follow through with some things I don't think she's done a very good job following through on allergy-wise. 

I got a call from the 504 coordinator two weeks ago to set up a meeting to discuss the 504.  I asked her if this meeting was to establish eligibility or to discuss accommodations.  She said something along the lines of "Well, it's pretty clear he is eligible so we will be putting accommodations in place at this meeting.  Just bring something from his doctor to prove that he does in fact have allergies."

I am cautiously optimistic about this meeting, but am hesitant to think it's going to go perfectly smooth, seeing how most people have to really fight to even qualify for a 504, let alone get the accommodations they need.  I've been gathering some information to back up his need for the 504 JUST IN CASE they flip their attitude about it and are resistant to the idea.  I'm also worrying I might be overlooking accommodations that he might need but I'm not thinking of...  He is not airborne allergic and has had inconsistent contant reactions over the years.  Any advice? The meeting is next Tuesday. Thanks!!!

Offline maeve

Re: School has suggested a 504
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
Personally, I think it's a positive sign that they've been proactive about identifying the children who need 504s and that they feel he meets the requirements for being eligible.  Good luck on your 504. 

I'd recommend reading the threads here on 504.  I'd also recommend thinking about how your son goes through his day and what accomomodations he'd need to ensure he has equal access to educational opportunities.  Areas of accommodation to consider:

Lunch: where does he sit, how are tables cleaned, washing hands before/after lunch, etc.
Classroom: Is snack eaten in the classroom? Is snack provided only by you? Manipulatives used in class.  Food as rewards.  Class parties.  Nut free classroom and signs to designate that it is nut free.  Letter home to parents at the beginning of the year with a repeat distribution mid-way through the year.
Field trips: Designate that you will be a chaperone on trips.  Ensure that if you're assigned more children than your child for a field trip that you're paired with another adult so that in the event something happens they can take the other children off your hands so you can tend to your child.  Ask about eating on the bus on field trips.
Bus: Ask whether food is prohibited.  Are drivers trained in the use of EpiPen?

These are just a few things off the top of my head.  My DD does not have airborne reactions but she is contact reactive.  She's also allergic to tree nuts and eggs.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
Personally, I think it's a positive sign that they've been proactive about identifying the children who need 504s and that they feel he meets the requirements for being eligible.  Good luck on your 504. 

I think it's great, too!

I find it so encouraging that 'good' schools and administrators are finally figuring out that they ought to do accommodations with 504 plans.  I've heard very positive things lately about some schools doing this with diabetic students and those with severe asthma and seizure disorders, too.

My advice-- ask if you can 'walk' through the school the way your child experiences it if you haven't ever done that.  That will highlight potential trouble spots about as well as anything else.  Be thinking about possible risks and ask a lot of questions for clarification.    Particularly ask about (as you know) deviations from routine, since that tends to be where things fall through the cracks even in otherwise very good plans.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »
My advice is also to look to the future . . . things you think he likely needs now and will SURELY need later -- get them now.

WAY easier to drop accommodations later than to add.

Be sure to review the "life functions" affected by LTFA -- not just breathing and/or immune system, but also ability to care for oneself, etc.

Cover as many bases as you can now.  Add in more at end of year (hopefully will be reviewed) and before school starts in the fall.

If you can get MORE than just the eligibility info from the doc (in writing) then great.  But be SURE you protect yourself (and your child's right to his/her med privacy) by NOT signing a blanket authorization for the school to go to doctor with questions/concerns WITHOUT going through YOU.

Read threads about THAT as well, if not familiar.

Call me optimistically pessimistic.

OR vice versa.

;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
I am cautiously optimistic about this meeting, but am hesitant to think it's going to go perfectly smooth, seeing how most people have to really fight to even qualify for a 504, let alone get the accommodations they need.

Sounds to me like you have a really good principal.  He/she is looking to the future and putting things in place for the day when you have a principal that might not be quite so good.

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
To me it sounds like you have good, proactive personnel that want to do their job well. I would definitely give them both the benefit of the doubt and all the materials they need to cement the plan. I'm using the 504 outline from foodallergyadvocate.com (Rhonda Riggott Stevens) right now.

Offline Jenmag7

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
Thanks for all the good suggestions! We'll see how it goes tomorrow!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Good luck!  :crossed:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
Wishing the best for you.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
Holding breath and hoping all went well . . . fill us in, if you can! 

And suggest that, at the very least, you send YOURSELF an email tonight recounting the entire meeting -- all the he-saids-she-saids and other impressions.

You'll be glad you did that.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!