Vitamin, Supplements and Cross Contamination

Started by forvictoria, January 11, 2013, 01:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forvictoria

Does anyone know cross contamination is a problem with supplements? I want to start taking a lemon bioflavonoid complex for an inner ear disorder I have and was wondering if cross contamination is a concern with supplements.

rebekahc

Since supplements are unregulated, I would definitely think there would be concerns WRT to contamination.  Since you're shellfish allergic, I'd be especially cautious.  Your only option is to call the manufacturer and ask very specific questions and then use your gut to see how comfortable you are with their answers.  If you aren't sure the CSR is knowledgeable enough either ask to speak with someone qualified to answer your questions or call back and see if a different CSR has better info.

ETA:  This one looks like it might be a good place to start calling...
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/lindberg/see+all/lindberg+lemon+bioflavonoid+complex+700+mg+250+tablets.aspx
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

CMdeux

Yep.   What she said.

The ONLY supplements that I take are:

a) Calcium antacid tabs (national brand or equivalent)

b) vitamin D (because I have a known deficiency)

c) vitamin C occasionally (because my intake is low due to citrus allergy, and placebo effect or not, I think they help at the onset of illness), and

d) cranberry juice tablets (again, specific history of bladder/kidney infections-- I take them as needed)

I stick with brands I know and that have been fine for me over a period of years.

I also tend to "test" new bottles of things with a bit of caution.  That is, I mentally note that I need to start a "new" container when I have the ability to be incapacitated for a few hours (or more), even if it would be 'inconvenient' for me.  Better "inconvenient" than "catastrophic" if you see what I mean.    So I never trial a new container when I'm out of town, when there is a non-reschedulable event happening that requires my presence, etc.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

forvictoria

Thanks so much for both of your answers. I did buy nutrition express lemon bioflavonoid complex, but I should have called first, when they finally called me back with their information they told me glucosamine is made on the same equipment as the lemon bioflavonoids. They said they clean their equipment but can't promise anything about cross contamination.
Thank goodness I didn't take any.
Not many companies make the lemon bioflavonoids and every one I have called said they can not guarantee against cross contamination, even one by country life is that's labeled certified Kosher :(

Only one company Nature's Life said they follow GMP guidelines and it is safe for me, but when I looked up the guidelines it does not state anything about allergens.

forvictoria

Can anyone recommend a company that states they are safe with concern to cross contamination?

CMdeux

GummyVites-- they make children's and adult's multivitamins and calcium supplements.

They're the only ones that I know of, honestly.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

forvictoria

Quote from: CMdeux on January 11, 2013, 10:01:32 PM
GummyVites-- they make children's and adult's multivitamins and calcium supplements.

They're the only ones that I know of, honestly.
Thank you.
I just found this company
http://www.freedavitamins.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=about_us

"Freeda avoids many harmful additives which other companies put in their products and we are very careful to avoid many common allergens in our products."

"Freeda vitamins are born free!
No Aluminum No Dyes No Meat No Sulfates
No Artificial colors No Eggs No Milk No Sulfites
No Artificial Flavors No Fish No Preservatives No Talc
No Aspartame No Gelatin No Casein No Wheat
No Yeast No Gluten No Starch No Whey
No Dextrose No Lactose No Sugar"

I will give them a call on Monday to double check.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview