login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Crock-Pot Recipes  (Read 33258 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
Crock-Pot Recipes
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline yellow

Re: Crock-Pot Recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
Bumping this up since it is chilly out and we use the crock pot more. Any suggestions for dairy, egg and pn free concoctions?

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »
Do you eat pork?  See crock pot kalua pork a little farther down in this topic.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
I had attempted to use my crock pot to make a scalloped potato.  The taste was great, but the texture was all wrong.

The way I make it, is layers of potato, onion, ground beef or ham, salt & pepper, repeat, ending with a layer of potato.  Then I pour in milk.  In the crock pot in became like a potato soup.

I'm guessing next time I should use less milk.

I know a lot of people put flour in their scallopped potatoes, and my recipes does say to use it, but I find the flour becomes gooey and I don't like it that way.

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
Definitely use less liquid in crockpot recipes.  I prefer to use part broth (chicken/vegetable/beef--whatever works for the taste of the dish) with the milk.  I don't use meat in scalloped potatoes but if you do, be sure you cook it first so it doesn't give off liquid, too.  If you use meat and wish the dish to be thicker, coat the meat with flour (about 2 T. per lb. of meat) after cooking it before you toss it into the crockpot.  The result should not be gooey but a bit thicker sauce, especially if you use part broth.  HTH.  :)
DS - PA, TNA, chick peas (outgrew sesame seeds)
U.S.A.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
Funny....I was thinking about you while I was cooking dinner tonight.  I was using my kitchenaid and actually enjoying the whole cooking experience.  And that made me thnk of you.   :)

Anyway, regarding the scalloped potatoes, I do always cook the meat first (it's often leftovers that I use).  But I think this is a meal I will continue making in the convential oven.

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:00:20 AM »
...actually enjoying the whole cooking experience...   :)
:thumbsup:
U.S.A.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
I never pulled my crock out once all winter.  Then yesterday I remembered seeing an interesting recipe in a FAAN newsletter, and I was going to be home late.  It was fantastic!

Chicken Fricasee

Chicken legs and thighs (I used a whole chicken cut in 1/8's, since it was what I had on hand)
1/2 green pepper chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 potatoes cut into chunks
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 tsps. cumin
1 leaf fresh sage (I couldn't find any locally, so I omitted this)
salt/pepper to taste

Place chicken parts in the bottom of the crock.

Place chopped pepper, onion and garlic on top.

Place potato pieces on top of that.

Combine the rest of the ingredients, and pour over.

Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

Even the white meat came out great - I removed the skin from the dark meat, but left it on the breasts so they wouldn't dry out.    Also, since I was using a kosher chicken which is already quite salty, I just added a dash of salt.

It was a big hit with everyone, and the sauce is divine.  I can't wait to have some for lunch.  Next time I'm going to experiment and substitute some Goya Adobo for the cumin.  How bad could it be?

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
1 leaf fresh sage (I couldn't find any locally, so I omitted this)

Where I was last week (home, West Texas, taking care of my mom), I could pull over the side of the road in town and pick some. Grows wild there.  I'm allergic to sage, so although I love the way it looks--all silvery green with lovely purple blooms--I dare not touch it or eat it. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
Yet another strange thing to be allergic to!

Usually sage is quite plentiful in grocery stores here - if not on the side of the road, LOL.  I don't know where it was all hiding yesterday.

I have some sauce from this dish left over.  Think I'll put it over some black beans and corn.  Yummy!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
Trying this today:  Crockpot chicken coconut curry.  Using thighs, not breasts. 

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/slow-cooker-coconut-chicken-curry/

I added freshly grated ginger, some green onions and half a red onion(I had stuff to use in the fridge).  Also subbed a red sweet pepper as it was what I had on hand(I prefer them).  Think I am pretty true to the method and recipe otherwise.  Using lower fat coconut milk, not fat free. 

The curries i used are some older Penzy's blends(maharaja and tandoori) and added ground red pepper for heat as I had no fresh hot chilis). 

Will be back later to give my review, lol.  I am hoping my spices have enough punch.  They can get bland when old.  I used a bit more than called for in the recipe. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:15:04 AM »
becca...thanks for posting.  This does look good.  I love curries but DH doesn't and DS won't try.  However, DH will eat anything I put in on his plate so I may give it a whirl when I have chicken on hand.  ;D
U.S.A.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »
It was pretty good.  My spices were def not as fresh as they could be, so it was a bit flat, for lack of a better word.  Not bland, but the spices were not a bright as they should be.  Def. recommend thighs over white chicken, and reviews of the recipe said the same.  breast meat came out dry for some.  It makes alot of sauce by the time th emeat cooked down.  Dh and I were thinking potatoes or some other veggies could work in it too.  But for me(I eat lower carb for diabetes) that gets too carby with rice. 

I told a neighbor I made curry(we had a fire outside and neighbors came around).  They are Indian, and turns out a relative is in wholesale spices and she gets loads from India.  She said she will give me some one day(when they get a stash).  I had asked where she likes ot buy hers locally.  So, later, she rang my bell, and shared some of her leftover dinner!  Certainly much better seasoning than mine, lol.  Corn curry with panner(and I think tofu) and a lentil porridge(not dahl, it was brown lentils), and some poori. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:00:29 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »
thought I'd share a family favorite.

The recipe said to put chicken breast in the crockpot and top with a jar of salsa - that was it ~)

So I season my chicken with pepper, cayenne, cumin and garlic

Chop an onion and a bell pepper and place on the bottom of pot.
Put Chicken on top of that
Top with a can of corn and a can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
Top with a jar of salsa (your brand/spiciness choice)
If I have cilantro I add that in at the end as well :)

Cook on low for 6 hours...shred chicken in pot, add a block of cream cheese (this is optional) and then turn to high for about 30 minutes (only do this extra 30 min if adding the cheese)

Serve over brown rice.

We serve leftovers wrapped in tortillas
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline Jessica

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
I use this recipe for stew (just made some today) and our whole family loves it. I leave out the celery since no one here really likes it cooked.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-beef-stew-i/
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA