imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: UAL Warmed Nuts First Class  (Read 10204 times)

Description:

Offline nonutsplz

Re: UAL Warmed Nuts First Class
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
I think that I am most nervous knowing they are heating nuts and knowing that there is no place to land if there was an emergency.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »
The nuts are typically WARMED in little ramekins (porcelain cups) in the "ovens" -- there is not a frying or open type pan and with resulting release of protein into the air, is my understanding.

Being over the ocean for long time with no place for "quick" emergency landing is always a consideration on these long haul flights . . . it's going to have to be individual decision as to reaction experiences and comfort//safety level and needs.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
Air Canada requires documentation to be filed FROM YOUR PHYSICIAN DIRECTLY-- ours faxed the packet to them about 3 weeks prior to our flights. 

Even so, the flight crew on our transatlantic flight was unaware of the allergy until we were over n. London and headed for the Scottish border-- when I told them.

I had mentioned it during check in, AND with the gate agent when pre-boarding.  Oh, and obviously at reservation. 

Basically-- mentioned it at EVERY opportunity, and each person was like "Wow!  News to me!! uh... oh, yeah... wait..."  It was maddening.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

TT

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
Long story but I was in first class this June.  No one get excited it was a one-off.

Pretty much how ajas described. They'll keep offering more and more of it until no one wants a refill.  I have no idea the layout of the ovens on planes or how they use them in different passenger areas so I have no ideas on controls for contamination.  From what I saw (or did not see) nothing special no hand washing.  Just warming some nuts to feed the first class menagerie.