Osaka Steak House -- have you been there?

Started by GingerPye, March 02, 2013, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

My daughter will be attending a birthday party tonight at the local Osaka Steak House.  I have never been to one.  Is there any hope for someone with peanut allergy?  (not to mention milk and egg allergies as well)  I find nothing on their website as far as ingredients.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

I tormented myself by looking at that menu. Thankfully tonight's dinner is of the bento persuasian to soften the blow. Biggest problem is going to be egg in virtually all fried items, FYI some brands of wasabi have milk as an ingredient specifically S&B. Hime brand may be milk free but it'll be difficult to tell.

She might be able to get by on edamame as an appetizer, sashimi if she can both tolerate seafood and enjoy it raw, plain white rice straight from their steamer, maybe teriyaki but I wouldn't know about cross-contam. Clear soup has a mushroom base matsutake if I remeber correctly, and I would risk the miso. I have never heard or have seen it with peanut, egg or milk anywhere including Japan.

Ramen can often have butter as in shoyu butter, eggs are often in it. Sushi (differentiated from sashimi) might be possible but keep in mind shared equipment with not so uncommon rolls wrapped in egg. Stay away from don/donburi. That screams egg.

tamago = egg
oyakodon = oyako (parent and child) don (bowl) = chicken +
egg over rice

egg is often used to make all the pan ingredients bind together and soak up sauce. I used to make this for DS1 all the time before he was egg allergic.

Watch out for sauces like you would anywhere else. Mayo is really popular in restaurant type Japanese food. Straight soy sauce poured by her own hand should be ok.

GingerPye

Thanks, tt. 

DH called the restaurant yesterday and got a meal worked out for DD.  Steak, shrimp, rice (plain), and steamed veggies.  A garden salad if she wanted it, but she didn't.  She said the meal was good; that the manager was very attentive to her needs.  No peanut oil at all in the restaurant.  Her food was prepared in the kitchen, separately; not at the grill in front of everyone, due to cross-contamination with mainly egg.

All good -- I never would have guessed that she could eat there.  But it worked out, at least at our local one.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

twinturbo

My pleasure. Terrific she had a meal out with friends.

A lot of the stuff can be made at home with safe alterations if anyone's interested. There's a brand of lumpia wrapper w/o egg, milk for example. Tempura use seltzer water, rice flour and Ian's natural panko. OMG, tempura...

Japanese food thread, anyone?

GingerPye

DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview