imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New to allergies...looking for advice  (Read 3309 times)

Description:

Offline AlwaysAngela

New to allergies...looking for advice
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »
Hello all.  I was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance as well as nut allergies.  I am allergic to wheat, barley, peanuts, sesame seeds, almonds, cantaloupe and watermelon.  I have started on a strict gluten free diet as well as no nut/sesame seed diet but its really difficult.  Any advice is appreciated as well as websites I may be able to find info on.  I have been searching the web for several days no and it is a little overwhelming. 

Look forward to learning from all of you!
 :happydance:

Offline SilverLining

Re: New to allergies...looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:23 AM »
Hi, and welcome.    :bye:

We have sections of our forum with info/questions specific to some of your allergies.

When getting product information off the Internet, try to check which country the info relates to.  Even between Canada and US the same product from the same company can be produced with different allergens in the facility.

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
Hi!  I'm sorry you needed to find us, but glad you did  :).  Feel free to jump in anywhere and ask questions, we're always happy to help!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline AlwaysAngela

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Thank you!  I am learning a lot but slowly....:)  I definitely am learning to read labels and look for all the hidden names! Why can they not just say "this is made with ...." and give the common name.  Anyway, I am glad I found this site and look forward to interacting.

Offline Mayashappyplace

• Commercial Member
  • I am a Freelance Writer and Blogger
    • Maya's Happy Place
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 01:32:04 AM »
Here you go! Hope this helps you!  Link removed by admin.  Please read our Terms of Service and Commercial Links rules.

Also, Enjoy Life foods has lots of chocolate and chocolate bars that are peanut free  :happydance:

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:29:18 AM by admin rebekahc »
Anaphylaxis to peanut and soy (including oil)
Severe allergy to some tree nuts.
Also severely allergic to lentils and anything peas (severe allergy to some legumes).
Contact and environmental allergies as well.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
What happens when you eat nuts or the other foods you listed as 'allergens'?  Testing can't diagnose a food allergy so if you have not had reactions to all those foods those might be false positives.