Anyone deal with Sting or venom Allergies

Started by TabiCat, December 18, 2012, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabiCat

Co worker's 7 yearold son was stung yesterday on his ear. Entire side of face and neck began to swell and he was gasping slightly school nurse made sure he was taken to the ER where he was treated (BTW UGLY reaction to pred).  They told her to see his primary care this AM. He diagnosed Bee Allergy, told her he was likely to get worse not better over time and prescribed ONE twinpack of Epis. That's it no instructions, no referrals, no action plan, NO epi if you see _____.

She has a million questions. I showed her how to use the trainer and gave her the FARE address. Told here to check out the DAY sight too. I gave her the name of our allergist. 
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

SilverLining

Sounds a lot like my son's reaction to a sting from an unknown insect.

My son had previously had a reaction to a bite.  Since neither was seen an anaphylactic, the allergist said he's not likely to have an Ana. Reaction.  I asked if he was willing to bet my son's life on it, and he agreed to prescribe epi.

I think there is some information on the Allergic Living site...but not much.  If your friend has questions I can try to answer (as long as you make it clear I am not a doctor).

CMdeux

I know that there are several of us here who have sting/venom allergies.  catelyn and I both have anaphylaxed from stings. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

rebekahc

It's also important to know that fire ant venom is very similar and often people who are allergic to flying insect stings will react to fire ant stings.  Around here - that's probably gonna be the hardest to avoid.

The good news is that they have been doing venom desensitization for many years.  My nephew went through it several years ago (in FTW) with great results.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview