login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pot roast  (Read 4839 times)

Description:

Offline hedgehog

Pot roast
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
I just made the most fabulous pot roast last night, and I wanted to share.  I did not have the ingredients for how I usually make it (I stopped in the meat dept last at the store, had not intended to get pot roast until I saw it, then forgot to get the other things to go with it before I left).  So I improvised.

I seasoned with salt & pepper and seared all sides in a dutch oven.  Then I added red wine, and mulling spices (I used pre-mixed, but added whole allspice, a cinnamon stick, and some whole black peppercorns).  Then I put in a 250 degree oven.  Checking often enough to replace liquid as needed (ended up using the whole bottle of wine), and lowered the temp after a while to 200.  When done, I strained the liquid to get those mulling spices out, and thickened with a roux, adding a little more salt to taste.  OMG, it was the best pot roast I ever made, and the gravy is to die for!  And the flavor is perfect for the holiday season, but would be nice any time of year.
USA

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Pot roast
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »
Sounds amazing!  I use a combo of seasoned salt, red wine, OJ, tomato sauce, garlic and onion.  I'll have to give yours a try while DS is home on vacation.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:37:30 AM »
DS will be gone for the weekend at a speech tournament his traveling team goes to. 

Saturday is Valentine's Day, and the high will be 0. After being at a speech tournament all day (ha--without DS!)  with the rest of the team, I don't want to go out.  I want to come home and watch a movie with DH.  Sometimes when DS goes on a trip we make a meat dish (we really do not cook with meat when DS is here).  I've had a huge problem with this the last few trips. 

DH has roasted a turkey--I never want to cook a turkey in our house again.  It smelled so gross.  It was gross to DH, too.  I really hate it when he cooks steak.  I don't like it rare.  He never gets mine right, and I end up nuking it, and then it gets caught in my teeth. And it makes the whole house smell awful. 

We go out for brisket occasionally, so the only meat I actually miss having is pot roast.  I do miss that.  Don't laugh, but I just love the taste of ketchup with it.  DH thinks I'm crazy and for years he was insulted.  But it's what I grew up with-- a little ketchup on the plate with the roast, potatoes, carrots and onions. 

I think I want to make a pot roast on Saturday.  In the crock pot.  We won't be home, so I won't have to smell it. 

I found this crock pot recipe.  I do like the clear broth that my mom used to have--not a gravy pot roast.  I'm wondering if this recipe will work. The mustard sounds good.

Question:  what kind of potatoes do you buy for your pot roasts?  I will need to do this quickly, as we'll need to leave for the speech tourney by 7:30 am.   I can get my carrots ready the night before, but potatoes probably not. 

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/melt-in-your-mouth-pot-roast

You know, I do miss stew and meat loaf, too. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »
I think you would add the potatoes at the end.  Just the last 30 mins before serving?  Otherwise, wouldn't they overcook?  But, I don't do pot roast, so don't rely on me!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
In the crockpot you do want to add at the beginning.  On the stove, or in the oven, you would add later.  I would use a good all purpose potato, maybe a Yukon gold, or red skinned.  You could buy the baby ones, wash the night before, then just throw them in the pot in the morning.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 01:04:28 PM »
Thanks y'all. So is it safe to just put the roast in there?  It doesn't spoil?  I've never cooked with meat in my crock pot before. :misspeak:

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »
You are going to put it  in When you turn it on, right?  I mean, not just leave it there, then turn it on later?  Then it should be fine.
USA

Offline eragon

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »
 THE KETCHUP THING! THATS ME TOO!!!!!
 am even after 25yrs my hubby still flinches a little at the sight of the bottle near a roast dinner!
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

guess

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:30 PM »
ketchup? not tomato sauce?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:09:43 AM »
Yeah, don't know why. Our ketchup bottle gets very little use throughout the year. I'm not a ketchup on everything person. But I love that tanginess with the roast.

DH is loving this idea. :)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:11:48 AM »
Now picante sauce on everything--that is me. And my DH and DS. Yes. We could drink Pace Medium straight from the bottle. But I won't out it on pot roast.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »
I grew up with ketchup and pot roast.  I wouldn't have it any other way!  One of my all-time favorites that Mom made.

Guess, I eat the ketchup with the pot roast.  Not as part of the recipe . . .
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Right--same here. On the plate.

guess

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
It's not the product it's the American term "ketchup" eragon used that surprised me.  I'd thought she would have said "tomato sauce" but she probably used the American term for our sake.  When she starts using "flashlight" and "soccer" we know our job corrupting her will be completed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:18:45 AM by guess »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »
When we lived in Switzerland, it was called "ketchup."  Perhaps "catsup."  It and mustard came in a tube like toothpaste (we buy tomato paste like that now). A Bulgarian fellow student put it on every.blessed.thing.  I felt like I was eating wiih my brother.  :)