login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cosmetic, Hair Care, Skin Care, Oral Care Products Database  (Read 4522 times)

Description:

forvictoria

Cosmetic, Hair Care, Skin Care, Oral Care Products Database
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
I found this database that might be useful for us. You can search by ingredients as well as product name and other criteria to see if a product contains something you need to avoid:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

I searched chitin (SFA) and a whole bunch of products came up.

Let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:51:18 PM by forvictoria »

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Cosmetic, Hair Care, Skin Care, Oral Care Products Database
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
Thanks!  This looks like very useful tool.  I just played with it for a few minutes, though, and haven't taken any time to verify the results.  One thing that bugged me was the prominent asking for donations - to the point it makes it hard to navigate. <sigh>
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

forvictoria

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
It is so difficult to decipher all those chemcial names in beauty and healthcare products, this database makes it a bit easier to see if a product is safe or not, I did verify a couple of products and and the ingredients matched up on the website. But more verification needs to be done. I do like it has a search by ingredient option.

We all have to read and research so much for most things if not everything we use, anything that is valid and can take some of the burden off can be so helpful.

I also found this cell phone app called CARD, it was developed by a doctor from the mayo clinic
http://www.preventice.com/products/card/

I am not sure this applies to anyone on the forum
CARD contains more than 8,000 allergens and cross-reactors combined with over 5,500 pre-screened skin care products, making CARD the world's most complete resource for people suffering from contact dermatitis.

I also use an iphone app called Allergy & Gluten Free Scanner by Fooducate, I found it listed on FAAN's site, does anyone esle use it or had experience with it?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/allergy-gluten-free-scanner/id518115987?mt=8
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:38:31 PM by forvictoria »

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
I've used that site a little, but they make NO claims whatsoever that something like peanut oil is a possible allergen (and it's usually unrefined in cosmetics, I think) but anything with any type of fragrance seems to get two thumbs down. My child has no problem with fragrances but we avoid nut oils so other than checking ingredients or looking for certain non-allergenic-but-risky ones, I don't go there much anymore. Sounds very helpful for other allergens though. Just not nut/peanut allergens.

If you ever give them your email address, they will also ask for money via email. It took me several times opting out and a tersely worded email before they would remove me from their email list.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA