login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Blue Buffalo Cat Litter is made from walnut shells  (Read 12016 times)

Description:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Blue Buffalo Cat Litter is made from walnut shells
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »
http://www.bluebuffalo.com/healthy-home/blue-naturally-fresh-cat-litter?gclid=CP_2g8nMpLQCFY1DMgodlyQA2g

All-natural and annually renewable.
100% natural and biodegradable*, BLUE Naturally Fresh is made from walnut shells, an annually renewable non-food agricultural product.

NO chemicals, NO toxins, NO worries.
Made without any harmful ingredients, BLUE Naturally Fresh is safe for you and your cat or kitten.

USA-made.
All of the walnuts used to make BLUE Naturally Fresh are homegrown in the USA!

Also posted in unusual peanut/nut sources

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Blue Buffalo Cat Litter is made from walnut shells
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:46:08 PM »
Fabulous.   :P 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
This cries out for a roca joke.

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »
Why?  I mean seriously?  Lets take a poo on some walnut shells snowball?  Weird.
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
One of the associates @ Petco recommended that to me when I complained that Feline Pine had changed their formulation.  When I told her why that would never work for us, she shook her head and said that she had never thought of that.  Another customer overheard our conversation and said her 19 year old DS was just diagnosed TNA as well, and almost picked it up without thinking about it.

Something else to worry about when our kiddos go into a house with cats.   :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
Something else to worry about when our kiddos go into a house with cats.   :disappointed:

I guess sometimes there's an upside to cat allergies.  Seriously, that is crazy. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »
Tremendous irony in the company's FAQs.  ~)

Why is it so important that there is no corn, wheat or soy in BLUE products?

Corn, wheat and soy have all been identified as potential allergens for some dogs and cats.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
Got this from them. I guess they don't consider cross contamination. After all, the entire walnut was in contact with the shell at one point, right? Can you imagine how much of this a cat could track all over a house?

Thank you for contacting us. Our Naturally Fresh cat litters do not contain the protein portion of the walnut, which is what typically causes an allergy. However, if you are concerned about exposure to nuts we would not recommend using our Naturally Fresh cat litter. Our Naturally Fresh cat litter is not produced in the same facility as our food.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day,
Larissa
Blue Buffalo Co.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline krasota

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
I had a friend with cats who started using Swheat Scoop.  Yeah, never visited him again.  Before, I'd stay for 20 minutes before needing a break, but there was just no way it was happening with cats AND wheat.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:08:20 AM »
Oh crikey, wheat. I forgot about that one. Any other disgusting cat poop + food ingredient combinations out there?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »
Corn.  "World's Best Cat Litter" is made from corn cobs.  We've used that one-- it really is very good stuff.

I also think that Arm-and-Hammer Natural scoopable is made from corn-- and maybe wheat as well.

Western U.S.

Courtney

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:04 AM »
I called Blue Buffalo directly and was told that this litter is absolutely toxin free. Walnuts are not toxic to cats, but they are toxic to dogs and horses. Specifically just black walnuts (and only when they are moldy) contain a toxin that causes seizures in dogs and horses. Blue Buffalo's walnut based litter is not made of black walnuts, they are English walnuts. Furthermore, the protein that causes allergies has been removed. It is 100% safe.

In addition to the walnut information, the Blue Buffalo representative told me the clumping agent is guar gum.

I like this cat litter very much. It does not leave that nasty clay dust in the air and smells quite pleasant. I actually use it for my litter trained Pomeranian.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »
If I had a cat, I would NOT want walnut shell litter in my house even if the manufacturer claims the 'protein that causes allergies has been removed'.  Why would I risk it when there are plenty of other choices which aren't made from something that could kill me?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
^ that.

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »
It's not safe for anyone with walnut allergies.  I worked in an animal shelter where they used this walnut litter in the main cat rooms.  I am not allergic to cats but would wheeze after a few minutes in the cat rooms, before I ever knew it was walnut litter (I thought maybe I was allergic to cats after all, but wasn't).  Plus hives, so many hives, swollen eyes, and a runny nose.  They switched litter to pine pellets shortly after I brought up the allergy issue, as it could become a public health issue.  After the switch, I had no more reactions in the cat rooms. 

With so many other (and better) options out there, there is no reason to use walnut litter if you have any sort of nut or mould allergy.  It's great if it works for you, but I would never recommend it to someone with nut allergies.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum