Lesson (re) Learned!

Started by Stinky6, December 21, 2012, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinky6

DS (9yo PA) came home with candy today that was given out at boys/girls club.  Kisses, tootsie rolls, some random loli, a bag of crackers, a candy cane, etc.

In front of the staff I told him that he couldn't have any of it....and the staff lady said "yup, because it's not labeled" - and I said yup and we went on our way.  DS still had the bag - I said that we could go through it at home.

When we were in the car he told me that boy brought in m&M's for everyone but gave DS and another PA/TNA kid in class a candy cane.  He said that he gave his away b/c he didn't know if it was safe.   I said good!  But we know that most candy canes are safe and then he asked if he could eat the one that he just got at boys and girls club.   I said sure.   He didn't eat it until we got home.  After a a few minutes he open his mouth and says "mooooom there is chocolate in it".   UGH!   He spit it out, got a toothpick, rinsed and spit and HE IS FINE.   But dang - I need to practice what I preach!   I told the staff at club that he couldn't have it and then he and I decided that he could.  But that wasn't the normal candy cane! 

anyway - lesson learned.    Before that he was a little bummed that I made him throw out the lemon tootie roll - because it was not labeled......he understood after the candy cane - so it was a good lesson for both of us.

CMdeux

Yikes-- so glad that he's fine.

Yeah, this is sure the time of the year when stuff slips through the cracks.  I find myself taking mental shortcuts just because I'm doing so many different things at once.  It's particularly true for those of us with older kids-- VERY easy to have one of those "I thought YOU checked it--" "No-- I thought YOU checked it!!" moments.

Thank you for the reminder, Stinky. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Stinky6

the candy cane was red white, and green

that should have been enough to alert me

just sharng so people know that even candy canes can be sneaky :yes:

GingerPye

goodness, that's a new one on me -- chocolate in a candy cane?  Yikes.  Thanks for sharing.  Very good reminder.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

becca

wow, I just shared your lesson with dd.  We can get trusting of things like that. 

I left her at a party last night.  She had 3 cookies from home and I left telling her specifically not to have these other cookies her friend made.  we did not know what kind of chocolate, etc...  I had to bring ds to a sports practice and a neighbor was giving her a ride home.  Well, we met up at home, and she said, "Mom, those cookies A made were safe!"  So, she had one, after discussing ingredients with the friend.  But I was upset because I had said, "Do not have them, you have your own with you."  She found out is was Hershey chocolate.  Then added, it was kisses.  Kisses that were melted, and the cookie dipped into it.  Same family had once melted a large hershey bar for a cake: not safe.  I just do not trust that they know those subtle issues.   

Also, this time of year, my kitchen is a cross contamination *nightmare* for anyone avoiding gluten, or maybe even eggs.  And definitely for dairy.  I have had flour, butter and eggs in my mixer everyday for a week.  and it flies all over.  and I have not swabbed the decks.  I save that until I am  totally done, and spot clean in between.  I imagine other homes are the  same. 

Sigh.  I just got attitude while lecturing dd about this stuff.  Now I had to send her to her room for being rude to me.  The whole interaction would not exist if we did not have allergies.  :(
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

CMdeux

Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure that 12-15yo girls can find a lot of other reasons to have any interaction devolve into "attitude" in similar fashion.

(Let's just say it's been that kind of day already...)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GingerPye

no doubt ---- if not allergies, it will be something else . . .  ~)
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

PurpleCat

Quote from: Stinky6 on December 22, 2012, 10:52:21 AM
the candy cane was red white, and green

that should have been enough to alert me

just sharng so people know that even candy canes can be sneaky :yes:

FYI - was it chocolate flavored as opposed to chocolate filled.  Red, green and white candy canes chocolate flavored are made by Hershey's and DD LOVES them and they are safe.  We get those often.  If that gives you any peace.

Stinky6

hmm....I'll have to ask him.  It looked like it was filled with chocolate.  Interesting. 

PurpleCat

OK so when Santa delivered and filled stockings, the Hershey candy canes, besides white, green and red, have a wide brown stripe too that you can see inside the canes we have but it is all hard candy....and yummy too!

I'm sitting there with a "beverage" eating a candy cane and I announce, hey, these have a brown stripe too!  I never noticed that.  My family looked at me like this:   :insane:

It was perfectly logical to me!

Stinky6

the one he had was mostly green and white from what I remember - and he said it had soft chocolate in it...he said "like little chocolate chips"

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview