login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: World's best STUPID-easy candy/treat recipes  (Read 3645 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
World's best STUPID-easy candy/treat recipes
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »

Okay-- there's complicated and elaborate for some people... and then there's reality...

What do y'all LOVE when you're short on time and brain cells?

My favorites that are so CRAZY easy that they almost don't even require a recipe at this point:

a) truffles (as per recent OT convo with nameless... this never fails to impress people, and it's really easy, and it's basically ALL about the quality of the raw ingredients... you know, since there are really only a couple of them-- cream and chocolate, 1:2 ratio, heat the cream so that it melts the chocolate, and stir until shiny and blended, refrigerate until firm, roll into balls and dredge in your coating, like good cocoa powder or nonpariels or powdered sugar)...

b) caramels -- slightly more complicated-- involves condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, regular sugar, and a bit of corn syrup, cook for about 5 minutes or so at a simmer and pour into a WELL greased pan/mold.  Cut when completely cold.

c) shortbread  (butter, flour, sugar-- any questions...)  JK.  I'll provide recipes or tips for this one in the morning after I've made some this year.

d) chocolate dipped fruit (I use Dolce di Frutti and dip washed, dry fruit-- strawberries on skewers are particularly nice).

e) toffee (YES!!  Really!!-- it's just sugar and butter cooked to the right temperature and poured onto a cool heat-proof surface.  Truly that easy.) 

The other nifty trick that I've learned?  Packaging is EVERYTHING here-- go to the trouble of using mini-cupcake liners for your truffles and they come off at least 25% better.  Make up variety packs in little window treat boxes (often $1 at Michael's or Jo-Ann) and people LOVE this.  LOVE it. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:10:56 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Jessica

Re: World's best STUPID-easy candy/treat recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
I know they sound crazy, but I love that toffee where you line a pan with crackers (some use saltines, I use club crackers) and then boil brown sugar and butter and pour it over, bake a few minutes, then sprinkle chocolate chips and spread after 5 minutes. That stuff is addictive.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:24:59 AM »
That stuff is good.  I made it for years.  But then I had a fantastic toffee that my friend made as gifts a few years ago, and she was kind enough to give me the recipe.  And it's easier than the cracker toffee.  Chocolate is optional (really, as much of a chocolholic as I am, I think these are just as good without). 
USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
I wish some of these recipes didn't need milk/butter.   :pout:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
I found a vegan toffee recipe using Earth's Best and sugar although I haven't tried it yet. Crossing my fingers it will work with fake almond flavoring.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »
GP, here's some milk-free ideas (depending on brand, but I know you will know what's safe).  My mom is vegan, so I try to have some vegan desserts for family stuff.

Get the best dairy-free chocolate you can.  If it's chips or wafers, you're all set.  If it's a bar, just chop it up.  Melt in a double boiler.  Once melted, turn off the heat, but leave the chocolate on the hot water. Add either coconut flakes or rice krispies, whichever you prefer (or a batch of each), and stir.  Line mini-muffin pans with the paper liners. Put a spoonful of mixture into each muffin cup.  Let cool.  YUM!

Or instead of adding coconut or rice krispies, you can dip pretzels in the chocolate and place on wax paper to cool.
USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
oh wow!  Thank you, hh!!  :smooch:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »
I know they sound crazy, but I love that toffee where you line a pan with crackers (some use saltines, I use club crackers) and then boil brown sugar and butter and pour it over, bake a few minutes, then sprinkle chocolate chips and spread after 5 minutes. That stuff is addictive.
I do this during Passover with matzoh.

My coworkers are already asking when I'm making it.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
I found a vegan toffee recipe using Earth's Best and sugar although I haven't tried it yet. Crossing my fingers it will work with fake almond flavoring.

I have done that.  It works just fine.  (Well, okay-- not with fake almond.  But just with vanilla.  We're toffee purists here... LOL)

I also have a lemon bar recipe which is completely free of milk and eggs.

(Why, yes, that recipe DOES rely heaviliy upon our old friend "whole lotta cornstarch," why do you ask?  ;) )

Another quickie trick is to use frozen puff pastry (some of which was actually dairy free last I checked)... and drizzle with honey and cinnamon prior to baking.  It's a bit like Balaklava without the nuts, basically.  You can also use broken up pretzels to make is more like the real thing.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
Lemon bar she says. We certainly can't pass that up and absolutely not when one thinks of it with black tea. I think I can make it work on a brown rice pseudo-shortbread.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »
Okay-- the crust is basically just 1 c flour (your choice), 1/2 c regular sugar, 1/4 c applesauce/baby fruit and enough fat to hold it all together.  Which is about a tablespoon of oil, shortening, or butter with wheat flours.
  Press into a 9X 9 pan and dock lightly-- bake at 350 F for about 10-12 minutes (lower and longer for non-wheat flours, by the way).

Filling:

1/3 c lemon juice, 1 tbs lemon peel (or fresh zest... which I highly recommend),  1/2 c applesauce or baby fruit (but needs to be VERY neutral in flavor-- I like pineapple pear if I'm not using applesauce), about 2 tbs oil/fat (again, go with a neutral flavor, usually, although a fruity olive oil works surprisingly well here), 1/2 c sugar... and finally, 1/2 CUP of cornstarch.

Chill the liquid ingredients, then whip with the cornstarch and sugar in until VERY smooth and frothy and immediately pour on the still-warm crust and return to the oven, uncovered.  Bake until center is just set and top is lightly browned on the edges-- about 50 minutes.

Let cool COMPLETELY before dusting with powdered sugar and cutting into squares.

These really taste like the real thing, by the way.  Nobody will be any the wiser if you don't tell them. 

Western U.S.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 06:43:03 AM »
Oooohh!  I may try those at some future time when my mother is over.  I already am making plenty of vegan stuff for her for tomorrow.  BUt that does look good.
USA