FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Safe restaurants in Kaui?  (Read 2390 times)

Description:

Offline willsmom

Safe restaurants in Kaui?
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »
Hello all - We are traveling to Kaui in March.  Our son is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  We're staying on the south side of the island at the Marriott.  Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants that are helpful and considerate regarding food allergies?  Also any to avoid?  Thanks for any advice! 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Safe restaurants in Kaui?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:41:30 PM »
I know of a member who has been to Hawaii in the last few years. Il message her. Sounds lovely!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:25 AM »
I recently went to Maui with my PA son - but not Kaui.   We got a condo and only ate out twice.  One was at Diamond Resort - I'm pretty sure that they have a property on Kaui.  It was kinda weird....they were like "yah we know ALL about food allergies - not to worry" and ya know...I haven't heard that kind of answer in a while....so I was a bit uncomfortable - but he had a cheeseburger - no fries - and a fruit plate and a cup of jello for dessert - even though they insisted that the ice cream was safe.  I think most of their food comes in frozen. 

We are actually going again (OMG) in March for a family wedding and I am going to bring a few things.  We are getting a condo again so I am going to bring some cans of tuna, mac/cheese in a box and a box of cereal.  Food is very expensive in HA.   I didn't see a lot of peanuts - but mac nuts are everywhere.

On the plane (most scary part of the trip) bring snacks to trade with people.  I just happened to have some grapes and even though the airline (Hawaian) made an announcement (after I asked/reminded them three times) they did it at a time that no one could hear it - so a passenger opened up a huge bag of mixed nuts and gave piles to her kids about three rows up from us.  I smelled them immediately and (wow did I hate doing this) jumped up and went right to her and explained the situation - she was so nice....put her hand on heart and asked where my son was and took a good long look at him and scooped up the nuts from her boys.  Then I remembered that I had this big bag of grapes and I gave them to her and the boys and everyone was happy.  My DS and DH didn't even know what had happened.    flying over the ocean scare the pants off me.

We also went snorkeling on a short boat ride to Molikini - and they serve lunch.  I just brought DS a sandwhich and his epi and wasn't going to say a thing...but during the safety talk the captain asked that if anyone had epi's to tell the crew where they were and what you were allergic too.  I thought that was cool.

I haven't looked it up, but sometime late summer/early fall I heard a blurb on the news about a family that got stranded in HA b/c the airline refused to the fly the allergic child back.  So I was careful to be pretty low-key about it.   I'll see if I can find it.  Wish I knew more about Kaui - really I do....hopefully someone will chime in.

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
SEATTLE -- A 13-year-old girl had a dream vacation to Hawaii, until the very end.

Alaska Airlines helped Alyssa Bowen, who has a severe nut allergy, to get to Hawaii, but when it was time to come home, the family ran into trouble, HawaiiNewsNow.com reported

Lari Bowen wouldn't normally chance putting her daughter Alyssa on a plane. In addition to being highly allergic to nuts, Alyssa has an auto immune disorder that makes it difficult to travel.

But when doctors gave her the OK, Lari says she wanted Alyssa to live a little, so she booked a trip to Hawaii.

"Every day has been an adventure," Alyssa said, adding she had the time of her life. "Sometimes I'm healthy enough during summers so I can go and do stuff. But this is the first time I've been healthy enough to go on a plane."

On Sunday, the vacation was supposed to come to an end. Alyssa needed to be back at Seattle Children's Hospital for treatment.

"She needs to have her medication. It's an eight-hour infusion," Lari Bowen said.

But Alaska Airlines can't guarantee nut-free flights. The crew going to Hawaii helped get a buffer around Alyssa, and Lari asked for the same accommodations on the flight back home.

"It was very difficult to talk to them on the phone because they just didn't understand how to take care of us, and they were pretty rude," Alyssa said.

Alaska doesn't serve peanuts on board, but there are nut products in the food.

"If she touches it, she has huge welts. If it gets near her eyes, her eyes can swell shut," Lari Bowen said.

After several days of calls, a Facebook campaign and reaching out to a reporter in Hawaii, Alaska Airlines came through. Lari and Alyssa Bowen made it home on a nut-free flight Wednesday morning.

Lari Bowen says Alaska made things right by apologizing, meeting them at the airport this morning and paying for the cab ride to take Alyssa directly to Children's Hospital.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
Ah--you got to this before I could message you. :) and CM will want to read your post about Alaska Airlines.

Offline willsmom

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
Thanks, both of you.  Well, we're flying Delta and my husband is a million miler with them, so they'd better get us there and back!  All kidding aside, we've actually had pretty good luck with them (I know others haven't), particularly with their new policy re: removing peanuts if requested ahead of time. 

I am more worried about the restaurants.  We unfortunately couldn't get a condo so are at a hotel.  It's a Marriott, and we've had good experiences with them here, so I'm hoping for the best.  I see a lot of cheeseburgers and spaghetti in his future for that week....

Re: the boat ride, I'm glad you mentioned that, because every tour I've read about so far is a long one that includes lunch.  I wish I could find one that doesn't.  Do you remember the name of the company?  I can't believe they asked about epi pens.  That's fabulous.  I'd like to look and see if they operate on Kauai, too.

Thanks!

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
We booked the snorkle trip though the store that we rented snorkle gear for the week from - Snorkle Bob's (there were at least 6 locations on Maui) and the boat was The Frogman or Frogman 2.  They were concerned about bee stings I think - moreso than food allergies - but none the less they asked everyone who had epi's or inhalers and were they were kept, etc.

I would ask for a small fridge if your room doesn't have one and a microwave.   When I went to the big island a few years ago we had a small fridge (just my mom and sis and i - no men or kids) and we ate breakfest and lunch, wine/cheese out of the little fridge and it worked out. but men are fussy.

I don't know much about mac nuts and tree nut allergy - but they are everywhere - maybe not in some small lunch shop - but every restaurant - so is there anyway that you can determine if your child is allergic to mac  nuts?   my son eats almolds and hazelnuts safely - but i still was worried and wish i knew if he was allergic

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:56:26 AM »
I might take a jersey crib sheet for the trip there and one for the way back, if you won't have time to do laundry--to put over the seat, since Delta does serve peanuts at other times.

Hey--burgers and pasta for a week never hurt anyone.  You're *not* there for the food anyway, lol. Sounds like a great trip!

Offline willsmom

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
Hi, thanks again to both of you.  Great ideas.  We will have a fridge in room, but I hadn't thought of asking for a microwave.  I'm going to try it.  And the jersey crib sheet idea is a great one.  I'm not too concerned re: him flying, as he's had to fly a lot and has actually had to fly on flights with peanuts (before Delta's new policy), but I still worry the whole time so I like the crib sheet idea.

My main concern is those darn macadamia nuts that sound like they're everywhere.  Yes, he's allergic to them and to every single other nut.....

Anyone else out there who has been to Kauai restaurants?

Thank!