login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sarafina gluten-free pizza  (Read 5807 times)

Description:

Offline candyguru

Sarafina gluten-free pizza
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »
I saw a new brand of gluten-free pizza at Metro last week.  Sarafina.

However, on the back of the box, the label says "manufactured on equipment that processes wheat"

So how can this product supposedly be gluten-free?  I will contact the company for more details

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:42:33 PM by candyguru »
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

twinturbo

Re: Sarafina gluten-free pizza may contain wheat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »
Is the term gluten free regulated in Canada? Here in the US anyone can put gluten free on their product because it's entirely unregulated and by population participation a largely fad diet. The prime example is Domino's Pizza gluten free crust that has a warning that if you have a medical condition involving gluten you should not eat their gluten free crust. In other words it's a marketing term, not medical.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »
Is the term gluten free regulated in Canada? Here in the US anyone can put gluten free on their product because it's entirely unregulated and by population participation a largely fad diet. The prime example is Domino's Pizza gluten free crust that has a warning that if you have a medical condition involving gluten you should not eat their gluten free crust. In other words it's a marketing term, not medical.

I think there are some regulations, as I know a few restaurants had to remove their gluten-free menus recently but need to look up more details to know exactly what happened

I received a reply from the company:

There is no need to be concerned. Our pizza's are made in a Gluten Free Certified Facility. The plant is heavily tested and inspected from Cdn Food and Agriculture. If we didnt meet the standards we would not be allowed to produce the products. However, because wheat products are made on in this facility it is by law that we must make the statement.

So I think it sounds okay :)
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline Jessica

Re: Sarafina gluten-free pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »
I'm confused. Or maybe I know nothing about gluten. I thought all wheat contains gluten. Therefore, wheat in a facility means gluten in a facility. Is there gluten free wheat?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »

I think there are some regulations, as I know a few restaurants had to remove their gluten-free menus recently but need to look up more details to know exactly what happened

I received a reply from the company:

There is no need to be concerned. Our pizza's are made in a Gluten Free Certified Facility. The plant is heavily tested and inspected from Cdn Food and Agriculture. If we didnt meet the standards we would not be allowed to produce the products. However, because wheat products are made on in this facility it is by law that we must make the statement.

So I think it sounds okay :)

Rock on if you are able to trust a regulation that is known to operate by medical standard. However, here in the US any manufacturer or restaurant could claim gluten free... and often aren't.

@Jessica. candyguru is in Canada so their manufacturing standards may be such and his child's wheat tolerance may be such that it would work. I don't know what the PPM allowance is for testing in this case.

Offline alexjrtaylor

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
So, I too recently stumbled upon this new pizza, and have it in the oven now (the 4 cheese gluten free pizza). As I read the box for what temperature to put the oven on, I noticed the wheat warning and decided to do a little research. This is what Sarafina has posted on their facebook page as of last week.

"For those concerned with a Warning Statement on our Gluten Free packaging that: "Products are produced in a facility where wheat products are used." There is no need to be concerned. Our pizza's are made in a Gluten Free Certified Facility. The plant is heavily tested and inspected from Cdn Food and Agriculture. If we didnt meet the standards we would not be allowed to produce the products. However, because wheat products are made in this facility it is by law that the statement be included. We have sold thousands of pizza's to date without a single issue. So please enjoy without any worries. Buon Appetito!"

As a response to a comment, they state "Our products are below 5ppm."
I am willing to give it a try, I'll let you know how I make out!

Offline alexjrtaylor

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Good news, I don't appear to have reacted to the pizza! And trust me, if there was gluten in it, I would be sick. I react to the smallest traces of gluten possible. I trust them. Also, if you're curious about the taste, I'll be putting up a review on my blog probably on monday (January 21). But for a frozen pizza, it is pretty good.

http://doitglutenfree.blogspot.ca/

Alex

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
When you say react you do not mean anaphylax, am I correct?

Offline candyguru

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
When you say react you do not mean anaphylax, am I correct?

His blog says he has celiac so it is not anaphylaxis.

Alex - glad to hear you had no reaction. Good news.  Thanks for sharing :)