Safe Popcorn Kernals

Started by jessma03, December 29, 2012, 08:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessma03

We got a air popper for Christmas and want to know what brand of kernels everyone uses!! Thank You
DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

Macabre

We do not deal with egg or garlic, but I would think you'd be safe from egg with any of them.  I have no idea about garlic, though.

Don't worry about the kernels themselves (you can see our allergens below).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

krasota

It's not something I typically worry about, but I did contact both Lehman (Amish Country Popcorn) and Yoder's Popcorn and there were no concerns for gluten, soy, peanuts, or tree nuts.  I wouldn't even worry about shellfish and egg, nor garlic for whole kernels.

I've also bought bags of kernels at the grocery store when desperate.  (I take my popcorn very seriously and prefer Indiana popcorn to others.)
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Stinky6

I buy any brand - it's not something that I worry about.

I did make carmel corn this year....OMG so good - and nice for DS to be able to try it.

CMdeux

We buy the HUGE jugs of Orville Reddenbacher's at Costco.  IMMV, but our shellfish, soy, egg, and nut-allergic family members all eat it.  A lot of it, I might add.

We eat a LOT of popcorn here because it's our go-to snack and lazy dinner alternative-- we go through at least 10 lbs a month.   

I should feel some shame in that value, I'm sure.   :hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

You and krasota, lol. I mean, she *has* been an avid consumer of popcorn for over 30 years.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

LOL.  Some months it's about 16- 18 lbs.

My DH is known affectionately as "Popcorn Man." 

We burn out a hot air popper about every 18-24 months.  They live a normal life... it's just... overuse.   :hiding:

I highly recommend a Misto alongside a hot air popper for anyone with a soy allergy, btw-- helps the salt stick.  I use Butter Buds on mine, and DH likes sea salt.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hk

We use Jolly Time in the plastic bags.  We determined to be safe for our allergen list about 4 years ago.  We use a lot of it and have never had a problem.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview