login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ice cream cake  (Read 192 times)

Description: Recipes or ideas

Offline SilverLining

Ice cream cake
« on: February 26, 2024, 12:20:37 PM »
DH wants an ice cream cake for DS’s birthday. I cannot find any safe for me.

If anyone has ideas or recipes I would appreciate them sharing.

He does not want Oreos in it. And one guest cannot eat cherries.

Offline SilverLining

Re: Ice cream cake
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 01:25:17 PM »
This one looks easy.

Funfetti cake mix, icecream, and whipped cream as icing.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ice-cream-birthday-cake/

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 01:31:48 PM »
Here’s another with just ice cream (they use two), whipped cream, and sprinkles.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 01:58:51 PM »
I've made them before using a spring form pan.  You really just have to remember to line the pan with saran wrap/parchment paper.

Having some sort of cookie crumble in there gives some texture other than ice cream...if not oreos, then some other crunched up safe cookie or graham cracker would work...then just layer it up.

Cookie crumbs on the bottom, layer soften ice cream on, smooth out the top, freezer for a while, can drizzle safe chocolate, caramel, or something else, then top with some more cookie chunks, layer a different kind of ice cream on, keep going until it's as tall as you want it and if using some kind of cookie can decorate the top with cookies standing up on the to make it look fancy.  I have also done it with cookies lining around the outside of the pan and then put the ice cream in.

If using cake, then start a thin layer of cake, layer ice cream, topping, next layer of cake, etc.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 02:39:06 PM »
I like the idea of a cake layer, but it might have to sit in freezer to long.

I had no idea what to “ice” it with. Never even thought of whipped cream. I’m hoping Cool Whip would work.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:35:05 PM »
I’ve convinced DH we need some kind of cookie type layer. We’ll think over the next week or so, and eventually decide exactly what.

Dealing with multiple people with different allergies/sensitivities and a few who really dislike certain ingredients makes this even more fun. ;D

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 07:43:59 PM »
Maybe a ‘Nilla wafer crumb?  Who doesn’t like a ‘Nilla wafer!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 09:39:39 PM »
I don’t know if they’re available here.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 06:24:56 AM »
You could make a pan of safe brownies and cut them up into small bite sized pieces and put those in as a layer...or as a base, but then again, if you decide on a cookie, you can also just lay those flat on the bottom too.

I never frosted the ones I made, that was the beauty of an ice cream cake...also why we decorated the top with cookies standing up vertically to give it some decoration.  But I see no reason why cool whip would not work...I happen to like the consistency of frozen cool whip.

All this talk of ice cream cake makes me want some!