FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ham salad?  (Read 1912 times)

Description: recipes?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Ham salad?
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:56:28 AM »
I have a lot of leftover ham.  I have never made this.  Any favorite recipes?  We generally have ordinary sandwiches, and I make a pea soup.  But this is tons of ham, so I need to get creative.  Froze some for the soup at a later date.  Might also do a quiche. 

Got it for a steal over the holidays!

ETA:  Tried to whip up a basic attempt.  went a bit heavy on the Dijon, and you cannot put that genie back in the bottle.  But it is good. Dh uses only Dijon on a sandwich, so he will not mind it.  I was looking for a sweeter taste, in my mind. Couple of hard boiled eggs, a bit of celery, Dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, mayo, minced celery. 

It's ok.  Not sure I like it *better* than a simple sandwich with ham and a little mayo, lol.  The hard boiled eggs do give it something. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:23:26 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Ham salad?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
Now I need a natural diuretic.

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
I just grind it with my Kitchenaid meat grinder (nicer texture than just food processor) and mix it with chopped dill pickle and Miracle Whip.  My daughter and I LOVE the stuff.  I thought it was a peculiarly Midwestern thing, though! :)  Tina Fey makes a bit of fun of it in her book. 

Hard-boiled eggs sound like a marvelous addition.  I'll have to try that.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Thanks.  I did not grind it, but finely chopped/minced with a knife.  I was thinking the food processor would overdo it.  I do think the eggs make it, but I *am* a big egg salad fan. 

I bet it is a Midwest thing, since I have never made it, my family has never made it, and I have never encountered it at a party, lol.  Always lived in the greater Boston area. 

Dh says his mom used to make it.  She is from Ohio, Dayton area, I think.  And central NY in married/family life.  He remembers a grinder.