login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Classroom Presentation  (Read 1930 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

Classroom Presentation
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
I was thinking about having my son do a classroom presentation about his food allergy. I saw one on FAAN and seeing if there were others out ther with elementary aged kids?

Offline maeve

Re: Classroom Presentation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »
I would not advise it.  If he wants to share that information with his friends that's his choice.  However, I would not allow my DD to do a presentation on her allergy.  It would make her a target because her medical condition would be disclosed.  Trust me it gets disclosed as it is and that certainly opened her up to bullying in first grade.

IMHO, that's really bad advice on FAAN's part.  I honestly don't know of any other organization representing medical conditions that advices having children do a presentation to their classmates on their medical condition.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
DD has never wanted to.

We've never asked her to, either.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
I probably wouldn't do it either.  My son did have good luck just putting it out there during the course of school.  he's a freshman now and back in early elem. I didn't have a lot of know how on handling his allergy.  thankfully, we had great support from parents etc.  tight group of moms and that helped a lot.  It could go either way and personally, I would not take a chance. 

Is this something you're thinking of as asking for some time for your child to share or a topic selection for a classroom assignment?
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes