login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Article: food service/dining at college  (Read 2484 times)

Description: ISU students with food allergies

Offline GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Article: food service/dining at college
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
I'm always a little disheartened when I read statements like this, though:

“Most students know what they can and cannot eat,” Rutherford said.

Because it invariably MISSES THE POINTS, and those points are what makes a LTFA "disabling."

• Oh, sure, and what does the student do when they "cannot eat" anything offered?
  • you've just admitted that environmental exposure to food allergens is a problem for "some" of those allergy sufferers... so clearly this is a bit bigger than "can't you just not eat your allergen, then."  And yet you've conveniently overlooked that little detail... so what happens to a student with that kind of sensitivity once they LEAVE the dining hall, hmm?  Do OTHER students on campus leave the dining hall with the student's allergens?  Yes?  Do they go to class with them?  Yes?  Well, doesn't that seem like it might just pose a "barrier" for allergic students??  <crickets>

I'm not denying that those with a high threshold may well feel as though their allergy does not constitute a "disability."  Frankly, I feel that way about my shellfish allergy.  It's hardly worth mentioning outside of a few settings.  Someone like my DD, though?  She's just as real as the young woman interviewed, and you'd better believe that she finds her allergies impacting areas of her life that should, theoretically, have NOTHING to do with "eating."
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.