login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Confused about coconut  (Read 9328 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Re: Confused about coconut
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
OK but a drupe is a botanical definition of the fruiting body.  It does not seem to indicate any evolutionary proximity to other drupes.  Dates should be more similar to coconuts than Almonds are.  Of course that does not indicate the level of correlation between coconut and other "tree nut" allergies.  I wonder if there is a statistic available?  The correlation between treenut and peanut is very high, as is egg, but the correlation to legumes in general seems lower.  I've seen no reasonable explanation of this either.  Has anyone seen one?  I imagine it has some connection to protein content and prevalence in our diets, but one would think there must be some other contributing factor as well.

Sorry for raising this, but I am trying to figure out how likely it is that my 3rd kids with NKA suddenly has a coconut allergy and nothing else.
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Confused about coconut
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
I don't know.  Allergies are unpredictable.  Why does my DD have them and her 2 brother's and parents and grandparents do not?

Why did she add more food allergies a couple years ago?

Why did she pass an open egg challenge and she is again allergic to eggs?

Why do some children outgrow and others don't?

It seems with allergies, there are no "rules".  Each individual has their own quirks.  We know other children with allergies and they have no similarities to DD as a matter of fact their differences pushed them away from each other in the lower grades....or maybe that was because they were always in the same class!