Has your child anaphylaxed in front of allergist?

Started by twinturbo, January 24, 2013, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinturbo

Asking because one of mine did and he handled it almost verbatim by anaphylaxis grading and emergency action plan. What we didn't do was call for ambulance and I'm revisiting that decision. On one hand competent allergist and allergy nurses with anaphylaxis expertise and no unsavory ER surprises. On the other no ER equipment.

Please also include if it had an effect on allergist executed care from there on. Ours had a sort of medical rebirth moment where it rewrote what he "knew" about thresholds.

CMdeux

Minor anaphylaxis (grade 2-3), yes.  Twice(?)  They had epi drawn and a crashcart on floor, and could transport into ER in pretty much seconds (next door) so we were not terribly concerned with handling. 

Similarly, handled in-office; benadryl and observation.  We suspect that our relative experience and home proximity to ER was also a factor in letting us go home after a few hours.  Allergist has "called in" at home afterwards, too-- to check up on biphasic symptoms and our follow-through.

But similarly, this was the point at which allergist stopped telling us that "aerosol sensitivity isn't real."

Real turning point in our relationship with the allergist, in fact; after that he's been convinced that we are NOT over-reactive, histrionic, or somehow provoking somatic symptoms with our stress.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

rebekahc

DS had anaphylaxis to his allergy shot while still at the allergist's office.  The nurse didn't seem concerned when I reported his symptoms to her (limp/wilted, lethargic, chest pain), but went and told the doctor.  At that point the nurse came back at a full run with the doctor close on her heels since the doctor recognized the symptoms as an EMERGENCY when the nurse told her.  They had an emergency treatment room with crash cart, so they chose to treat him in-house.  He was given epi and a big dose of liquid Zyrtec and kept for observation.  Like CM, due to proximity to the hospital, we were comfortable with this treatment and our subsequent return home.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview