FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: help -- eczema on face  (Read 33881 times)

Description:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: help -- eczema on face
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
Read this about mupirocin.  I am not sure if it is prescriptive, so I would check with a doctor before using it indiscriminately. 

"It is suggested, however, that mupirocin cannot be used for extended periods of time, or indiscriminately, as resistance does develop, and could, if it becomes widespread, destroy mupirocin's value as a treatment for MRSA. It may also result in overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms."

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin

I didn`t suggest using it indiscriminately.  I suggested using it for a few days.  Any antibiotic can cause bacterial resistance.  The longer it is used, the more likely it will cause resistance.   Wikipedia isn`t saying anything particularly profound.  However, the lesions in the photo that was posted would probably be 90% gone in a few days with muciprocin.   And since it is prescription, of course she would have to see her physician to get treated with muciprocin.  With all the non-medical people giving misinformation on this thread, I just thought I would post some correct information.  A lot of general doctors don`t realize how often eczema or atopic dermatitis is secondarily infected.  It is not alway obvious until you treat with topical antibiotics instead of topical antiinflamatories and it clears.

First of all, there is no need to be condescending with your comments about so much mis-information.

Second, I agree, no one should take medical advice here because someone says they are a physician.

Third, even if your information is correct, are you really suggesting that she go to her MD and tell them that someone who posted as a guest on an internet forum and claims to be a physician says she should be prescribed Mupirocin?  I'm sure that will go over well.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
Yes, absolutely. I don't plan on doing anything until I see my doctor. I will call to make an appointment tomorrow and hopefully will be able to see her in the coming week to get her opinion and a referral. Until then I'm just waiting it out.

Really smart.

All kinds of conditions can look remarkably similar.  I hope that your doc can get you in with a dermatology referral quickly.  Your pics look really uncomfortable-- and WHY is this stuff always on the FACE?  (Ugh) 

Add us to the list of people who mis-treated conditions with over-the-counter (and prescription) products for an embarrassingly long period of time before getting an accurate diagnosis and the appropriate treatment.    It's MUCH better to not treat fungal conditions with antibiotics or rosacea creams, by the way.  Just noting that.  <sigh>
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:56:38 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mayashappyplace

• Commercial Member
  • I am a Freelance Writer and Blogger
    • Maya's Happy Place
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:56 AM »
Florasone cream works really well....if you're not allergic to soy. Here's the link:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EIN2O/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0009EIN2O&linkCode=as2&tag=mayashap-20">

I am forced to use Elocon Cream even though it is a mild steroid. I get my rashes on my face from soy derivatives which are so hard to avoid.  :-/

I hope this helps you!  :grouphug:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:55:02 AM by Mayashappyplace »
Anaphylaxis to peanut and soy (including oil)
Severe allergy to some tree nuts.
Also severely allergic to lentils and anything peas (severe allergy to some legumes).
Contact and environmental allergies as well.

twinturbo

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 07:10:17 AM »
I'm assuming our physician here means mupirocin, not muciprocin (sic).

Offline Ciel

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:13 PM »
So today it looks better but also appears to be spreading. By better I mean it is no longer bright red and is generally dry and flaky and looking more like traditional eczema. Except now I think I understand what you mean about it looking like acne; new spots keep showing up all over my face, not just near the mouth. Most of it is still around my mouth and nose but there are random tiny red spots on both cheeks and near one eye. They have the same clear fluid and look exactly as the other spots looked before they multiplied and merged. I don't have a doctor's appt until next week so I really hope it doesn't get much worse before next Tuesday.

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and for your kind suggestions!

Offline Ciel

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
Last week I saw my GP and she did confirm perioral dermatitis but she did not give me a referral to a dermatologist. She prescribed hydrocortisone cream with instructions to 'use sparingly' and to stop if it made things worse. I am wary to try as it has already been getting worse all on its own. With my history she did not want to put me on a long term antibiotic because she feels right now that the risk is greater than the potential benefit. Which translates to what? Just live with it? Forever? I don't like that option.

I was able to track down the Canadian distributer for Person & Covey. They are called Seaford Pharmaceuticals and are based in Mississauga (www.seaford.ca). The rep I spoke with said they do not have enough demand for the products to sell to whole sellers so the only way to buy it is to order directly from their company, either online or* by phone.

*Of course I wanted to think about it more so planned to order online if I decide to order at all. Except it is nowhere to be found in the products list. I don't know if it will be the same scenario for telephone orders.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
Ciel,

You've had lots of different suggestions and seen your doctor.....I wanted to add my 2 cents.

A few years ago, DD had horrible eczema on her face that would not clear for anything!  The allergist put her on Elidel which is very strong and I hesitated to use it.  After 7 days her skin was so much better but I wanted her off.

The doctor suggested having hydro-cortisol cream and acid mantle cream compounded.  The pharmacy would do it but our insurance would not pay.  It was going to cost me $150!  So I said to the pharmacist, so if I take a small amount of hydro-cortisol cream and a small amount of acid mantle cream and mix it in my palm and apply it will be the same thing?  $18 dollars later that is what we did.

Since then, acid mantle cream has become a staple for DD.  As soon as any eczema starts on her face she just uses that and for her, it works.  She does not mix it with hydro-cortisone.  It works for her by itself.

She also uses it when sunscreen or cholorine bothers her skin.  She will rinse off in the shower and spread it on for instant relief and no eczema later.

Acid mantle cream is not a steroid. It works by changing the ph of your skin.  You do not need a $50.00 tub.  A small tube is a good place to start.  I have bought it at CVS, Walgreens and Walmart and when not in stock, they just order it. 

I don't know if this product will help you, perhaps your doctor can give you an opinion. 

We are in the US.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
Thank you PurpleCat, I hadn't heard of acid mantle cream. I am off now to do some further reading about it.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 06:30:03 PM »
Is there a brand name or something for this acid mantle cream?  What should I look for at Walgreens?  I'd like DD to try this.

DD also has Elidel cream for her face from her dermatologist, but she doesn't use it.  Don't know why.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »
Is there a brand name or something for this acid mantle cream?  What should I look for at Walgreens?  I'd like DD to try this.

Last time I bought it was at CVS and it was called AMantle Cream.  Let me grab the box.  Lets see, 1 oz tube, made by Pharma Derm (www.pharmaderm.com).  I've also seen it on Amazon.com - they sell everything! At any store you need to ask the pharmacist.  Most of them keep it in the pharmacy section because they use it for compounding.

DD also has Elidel cream for her face from her dermatologist, but she doesn't use it.  Don't know why.

Does it make you nervous when your DD does use it?  I don't like that the area you put it on should have limited sun exposure...my DD is a kid who loves outside!  I worry about the not proven cancer risks with using it.

On the other hand it is very effective and does not take long. 

Does your DD not like that it burns a bit when she puts it on?  My DD does not like that part.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
I think she used the Elidel when she first got it, to get rid of the worst of the eczema.  Since then I think she has maintained with the DML.   I have reminded her to use the sunscreen with it -- but DML has sunscreen in it.   
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
my ds used to use acid mantle.  worked well for him.  i havent seen it for a long time though.  We rotate around a lot.  cera ve, vanicream, some vaseline clinical strength cream etc.

He always has best results with a steriod cream that is cream based, not petroleum.  We never used it on the face though
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Ciel

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
I had some success with Aquaphor by Eucerin. It is petroleum based and full of other bad, chemical stuff, but it did seem to work for a while. Once the worst of it cleared up I switched to Eucerin Replenishing Face Creme (5% Urea), which is also full of synthetic chemicals that I would prefer to avoid. Both are readily available at Shoppers here in Canada. I have been attempting to use pure coconut oil as a cleanser/moisturizer the last few weeks and wouldn't ya know, the eczema is flaring up again. Sigh. My doctor prescribed a mild hydrocortisone creme (1%), which didn't do anything for me last time. So maybe the Urea is the key for me rather than the hydrocortisone. Or maybe it was coincidence. I just wanted to share in case it might possibly help anyone else dealing with this unhappy condition.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »
Interesting.  Does the Aquaphor have the urea in it also?
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
Urea as in pee?  :misspeak:  If so, whose pee? Yuck!