help -- eczema on face

Started by Ciel, January 25, 2013, 08:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

no --- in this case it is a substance that is produced synthetically.  (yeah, I looked it up)
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Ciel

Yeah, synthetic, phew. This is the one I have been using: http://www.eucerin.ca/en/Products/Details/replenishing-face-creme-with-5-urea/?ingredients=1

I don't see urea listed on the Aquaphor. I don't like that one as much as the other one - looks like I globbed greasy goo on my face and left it there. I guess I did do that, actually. I use sparingly and at night, but I will say that it was fantastic for healing my ugly, chapped lips. Sadly it didn't improve the rest of my ugly, chapped face.

Mookie86

Off topic, but Premarin is made from horses' urine.

GingerPye

Aquaphor is good, but yeah, it's greasy gooey stuff.  We like Vanicream for that reason.  I'll need to look for the Eucerin for my DS.  Since he's turned 13, he's been fighting eczema on the face, and he's not been my eczema kid.  He won't use DD's DML --- too pink, I guess, LOL. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Mfamom

my son's eczema on his hands is bad again. 
Totally baffling.  every time he starts baseball and basketball, his hands do a full peel.  this has happened the last couple of years.  this year, he did hockey and had no problem.  as soon as baseball started, it happened.  now, they are done peeling, but they are sore, raw etc.
Tonight i went to whole body and the lady recommended putting liquid probiotic on his hands and then drinking the remainder of the bottle.  Has anyone heard of this? 
i know it isn't going to hurt to try, but in all the years i've dealt with his eczema, first time I've heard this.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

GoingNuts

I've heard of probiotics being used in eczema, but have no idea how effective they are.  Plus, not all probiotics are the same, so it's hard to know what your DS actually needs.

Maybe it's the time of the year, and not the specific activities?  I know DS's eczema flares when his seasonal allergies are bad or when he's sick.  Mine just flares at random.

BTW, what is Whole Body?  Is that a division of Whole Foods?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

GoingNuts

Forgot to ask - have you tried Omega 3's?  Can't remember - is DS allergic to fish?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

GingerPye

Both of my kids are "eczema-ed" for the last few weeks --- worse than usual.  I assume their allergy cup is too full due to spring allergies.   However, if they are religious about putting stuff on at least twice a day, it keeps it down to a low roar.  Cannot get DS to do what he needs to do, so he is looking red, dry, and peel-y.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

GingerPye

Bleach baths are supposed to be a really good way to calm it down.  I cannot get my kids to do it, but every time we go swimming their skin is wonderful for the days afterwards.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Mfamom

its just weird with the peeling not sure if it is the gloves but if it was gloves, he'd only peel on one hand...does wear two batting gloves though.  but, didn't happen in hockey, but always happens in basketball (same season)
we've done the omegas and it helped when he was little.  he takes a supplement still.  IDK
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Mookie86

Quote from: GoingNuts on May 18, 2013, 08:48:13 AM
Forgot to ask - have you tried Omega 3's?  Can't remember - is DS allergic to fish?
Even if he is, flax is an equally good source of Omega-3.  Walnuts, if he can have them, also are high in omega-3.  Not as high, but also containing omega-3 are several green leafy vegetables (broccoli, kale, and some others).

Ciel

Have things cleared up for your son, mfamom?

I was clear for a while but majorly flared up for the last almost-two-weeks. It does seem to fit with perioral dermatitis and my GP diagnosed it as such back when it first started, but it is such a mess right now that I have some doubt. For those that have experienced this type of dermatitis: did you find that it stayed in a specific area (like mouth/nose or under eyebrows)? Or did it spread all over? This time for me it started around my nose, in the creased parts where the nose meets the cheeks, on both sides. It quickly spread onto and around my nose and then continued to spread, particularly on the right side of my face, down above and beneath my mouth, out from my nose to my ear, and up all the way up under my eyebrows and up to my forehead and into my hairline. My left ear even has a few blisters. My face is flaking/peeling, dry, crusty and quite red in patches. Hurts a bit too.  I'm not sure what to do at this point, I don't think antibiotics are a good option and will just cause more issues in the end. I've tried coconut oil, and a homeopathic creme with calendula, neem and turmeric. Can anyone suggest anything else that has worked for you in the past? I'm going to try fermented cod live oil for the omega3 supplement that going nuts and mookie suggested.

I was on prednisone for 7 days (finished Aug. 5th) and noticed the rash starting 10 days later; so the steroid can be a possible trigger from what I've read. Maybe while it was clearing out of my system? I also received 3 nebulizer masks w/steroid meds at the ER and was also instructed to increase my regular meds until the 5th. I think the first time was shortly after taking antibiotics, and the 2nd was more like a second wave to the first flare up. Unfortunately these observations aren't really helping me figure anything out.

Macabre

Yes, as I said earlier, steroids make it worse.

Mine did move, though it has it's fave spots.

My dermatologist prescribed doxycycline. It's the only thing that I have tried that works.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Ciel

Thanks for your reply. I apologize for my poor memory, I think I misunderstood and thought it was steroid creme that could make it worse. I didn't think about other kinds.

I guess I have to live with it, I don't think my system can handle long term antibiotics at this time. Even a couple of my healthcare professionals are against the idea.

I have it on my legs too.

GingerPye

DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview