FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: DD - Anaphylaxis Yesterday  (Read 7879 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

DD - Anaphylaxis Yesterday
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
I have learned from reading other’s stories, so I am sharing ours.  Please be kind if you post your opinion that I did something wrong….believe me, I have beat myself up enough and I am very sensitive right now but I know our story can help someone.

Yesterday, I made DD’s  favorite chicken sandwich on Joseph’s pita bread…a new flavor made with oats and flax and yes, I did read the label but I did not read it with a fine tooth comb.  Joseph’s has been our go to pita bread since her sesame diagnosis as they told me at the time the only time they use sesame is to make special chips for the Jewish Holiday of Passover and that they really cleaned their machines after but could not guarantee a seed might not get stuck.  We just don’t buy pita bread around Passover and the school uses it for DD’s pizzas on pizza day.

Right after eating, DD came to me and said….”Mom my mouth is really itchy and the bread has sesame flour in it”. I don’t feel like I am having a reaction, just itchy. 4 teaspoons of Benadryl and I grab the bread bag.  Sure enough – oat flour, whole wheat flour, soy flour, soy oil, sesame flour……right there….on the label.  Sesame flour?  How much?  It’s the last flour listed….even after the oil….maybe not much…..

DD says she’s fine.  She went off and made her bed and did a few more things.  Then she came down and said her stomach hurt like when she’s had egg.  We both know that means she will throw up.  After a short time, she did – purged it all.  I didn’t like her look but she insisted she felt better.  I did not want her to leave the bathroom so we made a comfy spot for her to rest.  I had an EPI in my pocket and the phone at my side.

Her asthma was fine, no chest pain or discomfort.  She was quiet, tired and looked like she might nap. 

Then she started to do something weird with her mouth. So I asked her what was up and she said there was some weird stuff in her mouth.  I asked her if it was like mucus and she said yes.  It told her it was time to use her EPI pen.  She insisted not, I insisted yes!  I asked her if she wanted to inject it or me, she said me and started crying and covering her leg.  I told her she had a couple seconds to get the message that she was getting the shot, that it would hurt and that she would feel better.  Then into her thigh it went and I counted – out loud, strong voice, very slow while she kept saying, “it didn’t hurt!”.   I took the EPI out, called 911.  She was jittery but feeling better.

The ambulance ride went well; we knew the paramedic and that really helped.  She was stable and did not need another EPI.  She was on oxygen.  All her vitals were stable.

After getting into her room in the ER, they gave her an IV, something for her stomach, prednisone and more Benadryl.  Then things started to change.  The worst of her reaction happened at the hospital.  She had hives, some bigger than a softball, the asthma cough and pressure in her chest, and a general horrible feeling.  She even had hives on her scalp past her hairline.  The doctor and nurses were not alarmed.  They just kept telling me the medicine would kick in, that her EPI had worn off but they did not think at that time she needed more with what they gave her.  After the nebulizer, DD relaxed and said she felt so much better.  A short time later, the hives slowly started to resolve and she wasn’t grabbing herself to scratch and she turned for the better.

An hour and a half later we were home.  She is doing great.  She will use her inhaler 4 times a day for the next 2 days.  She will be on Benadryl and Prednisone for the next 5 days and no physical activity for a week.  But she is home, smiling, eating, and carrying on in her typical teenage way.

Every label, every time….trust your instincts, you know……the EPI Pen doesn’t really hurt…….

Offline MaryM

Re: DD - Anaphylaxis Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
Oh my.  I'm so sorry that happened.  I am so glad your DD is ok. :grouphug:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »
 :grouphug: I'm sorry she had a reaction.  I know you feel guilty, but none of us are perfect.  You gave her the Epi and handled it and she is ok!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
That reinforces for me that it is necessary to do the ambulance & ER every time we've had to. Sometimes I feel like we've gotten to know the ER a little too well like I might as well get a prepaid multi-pass punchcard.

Glad to hear it you're both back at home.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
purplecat, I'm glad she OK.

I will admit that while reading your post, a part of me was thinking "use the epi...use the epi".  BUT, when I saw your daughter is a teen, I actually do think listening to her was really important.  Eventually you did have to over-rule her, but it was still REALLY important to listen to her.

I'm sure you are kicking yourself, but please remember, MC recently did the exact same thing.  Ate a product that DID list her allergen.  It can happen to anyone. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
Oh goodness yes i did. And sesame,too.

The difference-- when my symptoms started returning, the ER gave me Epi again. It's SOP. And I think the correct thing. I noticed right away. Nipped that biphasic baby in the bud.

So It has shaped what I tell DS for a rxn.

Glad she is okay!

Did they mention Zantac during the next few days?

Fwiw I think sesame flour is very potent, based on experience.

My only other bad sesame reaction wit eating pretzels made with sesame flour. I had an alcoholic drink at the same time, though. But it had these large raised welts al over my shoulders and chest. I looked like a relief map. The welts were the continents on it, lol.

Glad you posted.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline sbs

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
PurpleCat, please don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes.  I think you did really great giving the epi and calling 911.  The important thing is that she's o.k.   :grouphug: to you and your dd.

Thanks for sharing your story.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »
BIG {HUGS}

You did good.  As the others have already said-- you missed ONE word on a tiny label-- it happens.  It's GOING to happen to your DD again when she's doing all of her own label reading.

Now she knows how much epinephrine helps.  Honestly-- that may ultimately be worth ALL of this.   :grouphug:

I'm glad that she is okay now.
  I hope that you can both get some rest today.   :heart:

It seems like the hospital did some things that I find curious though-- they didn't offer additional epinephrine upon biphasic symptoms (but maybe they already had an IV line established?) and they also really didn't keep her very long. 

Supposedly best practices are 4 hours from the COMPLETE resolution of symptoms.  But I'm also here to tell ya that 4 is a minimum-- we've seen biphasic reactions as far out as 5-7 hours.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
Thank you!  All.  For your kind words and support.

CMdeux, Well, I just filed all the papers from the hospital and on one it says they did give her epinephrine....or did that mean the shot I gave her?  I'm not sure...but I did not see them do it.  Yes, she had an iv line and a bag with saline that was started on the ambulance and changed when we got to the ER.  Maybe when they changed the bag.  We were only at the hospital for 3 hours.  I'm glad nothing happened after we got home.  The doctor seemed very confident that we were out of the woods.

Macabre, they did not mention Zantac.  I have to call the pediatrician and the allergist on Monday morning.  I'll confirm with them if we should do anything else.  What would the Zantac do that the other two meds don't do?  Your description of your skin sounds just like DD's except it was everywhere!  She and I could not believe the size of some of them. I told her she was lucky her nose did not get a super big one! Your description of a relief map I shared with DD and it made her laugh!  That really explains it!

SilverLining, thank you....your post is what I most needed to hear today.  She is 13 and often becoming more responsible for herself.  She goes to Washington DC this May with her class.  It's far away and I won't be there.  I felt like she needed some control and to help make the decision.  After, she and I talked about what happened and what she should do when I am not there to guide her.  And now she knows, the epi doesn't hurt...it makes a difference.....and how much she needs help right away.

Her friends have been calling today (all it took was one of them seeing the police, fire, and ambulance at our house and word spread) and a few mom's have emailed me to find out what the "bad" food was so they can update their lists of safe foods. 

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
PurpleCat,
I hope you're DD is better today.  That's scary.  We've missed peanut oil as an ingredient.  I think we've all been there at some point.

As for your DD in DC, I live about 30 miles west.  PM me if you want my contact info.  That way you and your DD can have a local contact if need be.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
I think you did really well, PC.  Missing things on the label happens to all of us.
I'm so glad your DD is doing okay now.   

I really need to have my two teens to read your original post. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
PC Zantac is an H2 blocker and Benadryl is an H1, so it blocks different histamine receptors than Benadryl.

Nice benefit:  no drowsiness.

I keep the store brand around for reflux, but when I've had reactions (years ago and December) I was told by a doc to take it. It's something to explore with your doc.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
So glad you're DD is doing better!  :grouphug:

Last time DD was in the ER for a reaction (7 years ago) they gave her IV Pepcid (also an H2 blocker) as part of the treatment. When she went biphasic, they did gave her more epi.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

forvictoria

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »
I am so happy to hear your Daughter is okay. We are all human and this can happen no matter how cautious we are.
HUGS to both of you!

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
Ugh! My stomach is in a knot just reading this. Brings back a flood of memories.  One thing that stands out for me is that she was able to communicate with you. That's one silver lining as they get older I guess.  Not so much guessing.
You both did great. Take care of each other. The stress of these can really linger  :heart:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)