Open Nature freeze dried fruit packets

Started by CMdeux, January 28, 2013, 11:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

Anyone have info on these already?

I've seen similar-sized packages in the same flavor combos before which WERE completely safe, so I'm guessing that they might be.

They are SUPER light-weight and would be awesome as travel food to supplement a balanced diet of, say.... vending machine crisps and haribo candy.  LOL.  look, this is us, going to Europe for two weeks without any real plan for food...    :misspeak:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I have no idea if this is helpful but Sam's has a warehouse sized box of Craisin snack packs in assorted flavors. They are a nut free facility and my nut & egg allergic child eats them often for a couple of years now.

Wait... it's an ag product is that a problem for int'l travel? I know I've had my packaged meat and fruit confiscated at passport control.

CMdeux

Well, I have no idea-- I'll have to check, but I'm hoping that vacuum-packed and in a checked bag will be okay.  For on-flight, we'll have a food order along with a medication order. 

I'm not terribly anxious about having it confiscated IN-bound to the U.S.  On the home stretch, that.  So if she's hungry for even as long as 6-7 hours, that is better than eating something unsafe on an airplane.

I'm worried about the 16 days in Europe.  We also don't want to add TONS of weight to our baggage.  Might use www.justtomatoes.com

I know that others here have used them over the years.  I'll call to confirm that they're still nut-free, but they still SAY so on the website, too.  They even have soybeans-- which is great since safe protein is sometimes a problem for me (sfa).

Western U.S.

twinturbo

I was going to say wasabi peas but shellfish safe I dunno. Dried soy milk add hot water? Individually packed, no water weight. There is such a thing as tofu jerky but I would think that's highly contaminated with many things, also not nearly as healthy as it may sound. Maybe catelyn knows of a Canadian made brand I've had good luck with that at times.

http://www.soojerky.com/products.html

Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

Yeah, I'm wondering on that one, too-- I used to love them...

but with SFA, ooooooooo-- scary.

Not sure that DD would like them in any event, but have always been far to frightened of nut contamination to risk them.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

Yeah, shellfish is a non-starter. For pn/tn there might be a brand or two I'd let DS1 have only because I noticed a couple of years back a brand of rice crackers I'd been buying for, oh, decades changed the label to English and actually had a shared line warning. Jessica may know the package it's clear with gold and black tube shaped crackers wrapped in nori. For imported Asian foods that's super progressive labeling. Going by the brand it *might* be possible to explore the line if there's a clear method to their labeling practice.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview