FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ramen?  (Read 18339 times)

Description: pa/tna/egg/sfa

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Ramen?
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
What brands do you trust, and for which allergens (and sensitivity, if you have some idea)?

We could use something safe for pa/tna and egg allergy.  (Shellfish allergy would be a major bonus.)

We're looking for ultra-light shelf-stable emergency food for a 16 day overseas trip, and I have very little information about how available safe food will be 'on the ground.'  The only way that we can do this with acceptable risk is probably to take a supply of very minimal food for the duration of the trip, but it has to be VERY light. 

I can order dried vegetables from Just Tomatoes.

I can order dried fruit and soybeans from them, too.  I can probably locate safe packets of instant oatmeal.

I have heard that Dare crackers are available where we'll be (though obviously that may be more problematic in individual shops, and we may not have mobility to go looking elsewhere).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Ramen?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
We have used Maruchan for years.  When dd was still egg allergic as well.  "contains wheat, soy and milk ingredients."

However, it does say it is "manufactured in a facility that also processes shellfish and fish products."  Probably a no go for you? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »
I'm guessing that they'll be okay as long as I'm not using the seasoning packets.

Western U.S.

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
We use Tradition Ramen noodle Soup. The chicken flavor. It states *allergy and intolerance information-contains: wheat (gluten), soy, FD&C yellow #5. www.traditionfoods.com They read safe, but have not tried them on allergic ds.. Got them in the kosher section in Giant, USA. Made in Canada with domestic and imported ingredients. They are sold in the UK too.  You could call to make sure they are safe if you can find them in your area.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:48:27 PM by joshsmom »

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
Ramen is the Holy Grail for us, since my son has a soy allergy. We use these (just wheat and water):

You can stir in anything you like. I generally do them with veggies, chicken broth and garlic/ginger/sesame.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
Good to know.  DS has never had ramen noodles. Don't know if I want to make this known to the fam or not, lol. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
Ramen is the Holy Grail for us, since my son has a soy allergy. We use these (just wheat and water):

You can stir in anything you like. I generally do them with veggies, chicken broth and garlic/ginger/sesame.

what brand is that? I must be blind-I can't see by looking at the picture.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline booandbrimom

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
China Bowl. The noodles come flat in a strip and have to be rehydrated. We get them in the Chinese section of the local grocery store (and the pic is from Amazon, so you can get them there as well). I haven't called on shared lines, but they're just wheat.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
Do you know country of origin on those, Boo?  I know that some people here worry about that and others don't.

Western U.S.

Offline booandbrimom

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
Do you know country of origin on those, Boo?  I know that some people here worry about that and others don't.

Taiwan. Wheat, flour, salt, and water. Not for everyone, I know, but we've found few other true ramen-esque options and my son has had no problem.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
Thanks!  Honestly, I completely get it-- those look like a good option for my DH, who is soy allergic, actually.   :smooch:

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »
For nut and egg only Sapporo Ichiban will label at least some product for shared facility, I know the yakisoba version I have is labeled for shared milk, sesame and shellfish. Maybe I'm stuck on rice but with an enclosed cooker preshipped to destination you could make rice and quinoa. Stews, soups, too.

I should mention that I'm in the MSG crowd most of family still uses it so I ignore any MSG content on packages.

Oops, my bad. The Sapporo Ichiban yakisoba says yakisoba in Japanese the English on it says chow mein. Sometimes I mix up what I read in English, Chinese or Japanese when I recall it.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »
Maruchan seems to be working fine for DD (PA/TNA/egg allergic, low threshold).

Thirty minutes in and everything seems fine.   :thumbsup:

Western U.S.