Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCat

DS2 who has no food allergies experienced a season of mouth itchies with grapes about 3 or 4 years ago.  After 3 different tries the pediatrician said to avoid for a year.  The next year he could eat them just fine.  The pediatrician thinks it was what the grapes were treated with rather than the grapes.  He eats them all the time now.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

notashrimpwimp

Living with food allergies means making a decision between inclusion and safety and then answering questions while trying to remain polite yet distant from encroaching food.

Living with food allergies means remembering everything you can't eat/touch/be in the same room with.

YouKnowWho

Finally made GF wacky cupcakes and they were awesome.  Where has this recipe been all my life??  I honestly had no idea they were GF which made them even better!
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

hezzier

YKW- can you post in recipes?  I have a friend that just went GF on the advice of her doctor.

YouKnowWho

Done - I included the link and my modified additions.  I know Krasota uses other flour blends as well. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

PurpleCat

Feeling helpful when a mom I don't know very well calls for advice about her child eating in the school cafeteria and later the same day a school nurse (from another district) calls to ask my opinion about some accommodations.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

I ate bread outside my house twice (yes, twice) last week.  And I could go years without that happening, outside of Wendy's. 

At the Speech banquet, they served Sister Schubert's dinner rolls. There is no sesame in the factory, and when I asked about sesame, they said they'd need to get back with me because they needed to check the "natural flavors" (or something like that), because they knew sesame could hide there. 

<swoon>

And DH and I went out to eat Saturday night at Surly Brewing Company, and they served King's HAwaiian Rolls with the brisket plate I got. Cornbread was a side. Well, I haven't seen cornbread (and real cornbread) on a menu sense leaving Virginia.  And rarely there.  So yep--I got both the cornbread side and the rolls. That and brisket made my meal.  :misspeak:  And some amazing beer.

TWICE bread out!  :thumbsup:

SilverLining

I sent an e-mail asking if this company labels when there is a risk of cross-contamination with my allergens.

Here is the response I got.

QuoteWith regards to allergens, our labels on our products specify those that are present. Our company and all our suppliers do our best in avoiding cross contamination however, declaring and getting our facilities certified as "nut-free", "peanut-free", or "sesame free", entails much more and we opt instead, to go with our current practice of declaring allergens available in the product`s ingredients.
I hope this answers your inquiry.

Well...no, it doesn't really answer my question. I was not not asking about a "free" certification. Just a considerate label of "may contain".  But I'll just assume your product is poison to me.

CMdeux

SO DH brought home a sizeable chunk of rhubarb-walnut bread-- he snickered and offered it to me, saying "I don't think that {DD} or I are going to be competing for any of THIS, but it's yours if you want it."

So I did-- and I waited until he had left this morning, figuring that DD16 has never had ANY problem with walnuts, and well-- coprocessing not much a thing with the nuts that we know she IS allergic to (Peanut, pistachio, cashew)-- and she's been around pecans, etc...

warmed it for 20 s in the microwave (this means not quite to room temperature-- and it was in the same container that it came in), and she, sitting in the adjacent room--

her nose started to POUR... sneezing, red eyes, sniffling

:disappointed:

Guess we know, now.  I think I'll consider this her walnut challenge.  Right, then.  I'll just be adding THIS one to the medic-alert list.   :-/  Better to know, though, right??

RIGHT??

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

Oh no!  Have you taken a flame thrower to the microwave? 

I'm sorry her list is now longer. :-/

ninjaroll

I'll note it, too. We don't keep nuts in the house (as you know) but I make sure there's an inventory of allergen management that includes Sky.

spacecanada

Yes, better to know, and to find out this way than through accidental exposure elsewhere or out on her own.   :grouphug:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

GoingNuts

Ay yi yi.  That is no bueno.  I'm so sorry CM and Sky.  :console:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview