Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCat

Today, DD turned 16.  Today, DD passed her test and got her learners permit to drive.  Today, (for the first time ever) DD walked into a bakery and picked out anything she wanted for her birthday!

She chose 2 cake pops to eat there and brought a dozen of the most beautiful cupcakes home for her birthday celebration!

Happy Sweet 16 DD!

The bakery is a few towns over.  It is Gluten Free, Nut Free, Sesame Free, and to make things dairy free, they use coconut.  Now that DD has safely consumed coconut since her challenge in February I was comfortable with her getting baked goods there.

She is so happy today!

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GingerPye

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

GoingNuts

Happy Birthday to your DD, PC - it sounds like she had a memorable day.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

momma2boys

That is awesome! I know it would make my ds very happy. Hope she had a great birthday!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

becca

Awesome, PC!  Congratulations and Happy Birthday to your dd!!  Best day ever!

So, is that bakery PN AND TN free??  I think we need a road trip! 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

SilverLining

Quote from: SilverLining on July 02, 2015, 08:49:06 PM
DH bought a candy that we've never had before. They look good. I looked the company up and went straight to the FAQ page.

Under do your candies contain allergens is says this.

QuoteWe also list all the ingredients that the product may contain or may have been in contact with by using the words "may contain".

Under are your candies peanut free it says

QuoteWe use the following symbol to identify all products that do not contain peanuts. Please look for this symbol on the front of the package to enjoy our products safely.
<peanut free symbol shown>

This bag has no "may contain" and has no "peanut free" and does not list peanut as an added ingredient.

So....what does that mean?

I've sent them an e-mail, but....is it just me?

I received the canned "we'll get back to you" response....then nothing. I checked my spam folder, nothing there. I tried to respond to their e-mail (originally I contacted them through their on-line form) and the e-mail bounced back.

So, I had to hunt their site down again.

I copy & pasted my original notice, their canned response, and then let them know I'm disappointed even they can't figure out their labelling....and said I'll just stick with DARE.

<sigh>

CMdeux

That oh-so-awkward moment when you realize that the "crunch" in the deli "crunchy pea salad" that you got... is because it contains cashews.  And yet, you wonder if it's worse to consume it (carefully) or to throw it away without eating it...

:misspeak: :hiding:

(Where's our "purification by fire" emoticon??)

Western U.S.

notashrimpwimp

CM, reminds me of when I tried yellow rice and chomped on what I thought was an uncooked grain of rice. Yeah, no. It, too, was a cashew.

hezzier

Learned an interesting tidbit today.  This is the time of year that they (the allergists) see mild reactions to allergy shots.

DS sneezed twice and was itching the back of his throat during our 30 min wait. So they kept us longer, gave him a dose of Zyrtec and then made the doctor check him out.  We got to leave after 65 minutes...glad we didn't need to be anywhere!

CMdeux

You have just described a weekly ritual (with occasional epinephrine and sitting in closer proximity to the crash cart) that often meant a 90 minute "allergy shot" appointment.

We were using 40 minutes long, long before 30 became standard.  {sigh}  DD reacted like clockwork at the 19-28 minute mark for a long time.

Western U.S.

hezzier

This was a first for us other than itching occasionally at the injection site.  Also learned another new term: that his throat was cobblestoned.

hezzier

Well, the good news is it wasn't a reaction to the allergy shots, just a coincidence of coming down with a cold. 

CMdeux

Awww-- hope that he feels better soon.

Glad that it doesn't seem to be the injections, though. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview