Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCat

My sister said she was surprised at the level of care an options not only at Discovery Cove and Sea World, but also at restaurants they went to.  At every place they ate, someone from the kitchen came out an spoke directly with DD before preparing her food.

She also took DD grocery shopping.  She was very impressed with DD's abilities to work with the restaurant staff and her ability to shop for herself.

I know she can but it was nice to hear it from someone else.

spacecanada, so many here like you are "pioneers" who have all changed and impacted allergy awareness across a variety of settings.  It really does "take a village".  DD is 16 and the changes over her short life are impressive.

spacecanada

And so the investigation begins: what part of dinner sent me to the hospital last night? My bet is on the new brand of smokies we tried, despite a good label, but I fear it may have been something else. Or, the potato allergy has escalated to traces that may have been in 'natural flavouring'.

Garden veggies and rice only this week. I hate the food fears (and total exhaustion) that come after reactions.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

ninjaroll

PurpleCat

Soooo very sorry and so happy you are OK!  I hope you can relax and mend today.

spacecanada

Thanks, ninja and PC.  I am having a difficult time with it all but so happy to have everyone here who gets it.  :grouphug:

rebekahc

I hope you're feeling well today, Space!  New/mystery reactions are the worst for my mental health - hope you can find the cause quickly!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

spacecanada

Anyone else have a tan line where their MedicAlert bracelet is worn?  Ah, life with allergies has odd amusements.

(I'm still really freaked out by my reaction last weekend.  Physically, I feel much better.  Mentally, I'm a mess. :hiding: )

PurpleCat

DD has that tan line!

Hang in there.  Time and reaction free eating will help you.

DD always tightens her comfort zone for awhile.  It takes awhile to trust again.

CMdeux

:console:  Spacecanada. 

Yes, DD has that tan line.  I have a watch tanline, though, which is similar.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

School starting up and food allergy needs are handled with ease these days . . . nice to be in this place so far as LTFA.

:)
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

hezzier

New teacher, new routine...lots to get used in the new school year.

CMdeux

It does seem that awareness is making a difference, however.  That's a GREAT thing. 

Western U.S.

rebekahc

DS's food allergies are getting worse and worse the longer he's off of Xolair.   :(  He called last night and is really worried that he's not going to be able to safely feed himself (in a dorm with a meal plan) before long.  I need to call our old allergist and see if there's any way to get Xolair approved again, but his asthma has been okay - getting slightly worse, but not nearly as bad as it was when he started Xolair before. <sigh>
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

CMdeux

Oh, Rebekah, I'm so sorry to hear that.  It is downright PAINFUL to have tasted freedom, only to lose it again.   :'(

Can you encourage him to talk to a counselor on campus, at least, to deal with the emotional components of this?  It's really insidious, and has a nasty impact on your overall mental health when stuff like this happens. 

DD's been major-reaction free since about January, but she still has twinges now and then-- but it's been a lot better since she quit eating out so much. 

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

Whoa, not good news Rebekah.  :disappointed:  I hope you can get it approved again... Quickly.

:grouphug:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview