FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 399359 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Mr. Barlow

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1456 on: December 19, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
What the hell is different about Mylan's generic from branded EpiPens?  Their press release doesn't quite reveal the corporate sorcery at work. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1457 on: December 20, 2016, 05:11:24 AM »
That's right Barlow.

Space--that's great they're concerned. But I think I'd never expect an employer to try to get cross contact/calling. IDK--I never expected schools to fully get that, either--just that they be inclusive of my child and give him access.

I have to lot a lot of catered meals at work. There is a catering company who works for my employer onsite, and I do work with them. They get the cross contact but not the supply gain cross contact. And I just deal with my eating theee cater we meals on that level. I know what I can typically rust. I know what I can't. I've come a long way educating them about what will work for me with sesame especially, but if I didn't have to eat at work so frequently I don't think I would have invested the time and energy on that endeavor. I'm glad they get what they do, but I don't expect them to get everything.  My actual employer--yeah, no. When there are occasions where they say no purses, I do still take one that will fit epis. When most of the planned meals for a several day long event involve shrimp--I work with the caterer but don't really plan on actually eating much--just enough so I don't look strange to donors eating with me.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1458 on: January 01, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Last night we went out to dinner with friends and another couple that I'd never met.  When we were ordering dinner, the woman next to me asked if there was room on the other siide of the table, since her DH and I were ordering seafood.  She mentioned that she became allergic to shellfish in her 20's (she's older than I am, probably about 60), and I told her I'd gladly get something else.  She then proceeded to say she was only joking, that her DH ate it all the time but that he couldn't kiss her tonight.  OK.

When I asked her if she carried an Epipen, she said she always had until recently.  When the last one expired it was so expensive to replace, her MD told her in case of emergency she should just take 4 chewable children's Benadryl and get herself to the nearest hospital. :misspeak:  I gently suggested that she reconsider that advice, etc. 

Oy. 
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1459 on: January 01, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
Oh wow.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1460 on: January 02, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »
 :disappointed:

And I have to say, after having seen DD go through anaphylaxis, that anyone getting older would be at greater risk due to other health and age related issues.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1461 on: January 25, 2017, 12:25:47 AM »
Hooray for random hives.  ~). Five big raised hives on my torso and arm... The saga of mystery hives continues... After I thought I found the cause.   How does everyone here keep track of mystery reactions like this, if at all?  I have had so many lately my head is spinning. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #1462 on: January 25, 2017, 01:53:52 AM »
A spreadsheet, if you have more than a couple a week for a while?

That's roughly what we do.  Well, no-- but we have chat logs and text messages as a record of time, circumstances.  YK?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1463 on: January 25, 2017, 05:55:37 AM »
SC, have you asked your allergist about idiopathic urticaria?  That's what I have.  I'm not reacting to anything in particular; just reacting to... myself.  Sort of. 

I take a daily antihistamine 365 days/year to keep it under control.  I still sometimes get a random breakthrough hive, and get itchy anywhere there is pressure on my skin - like under my bra strap, watch band, etc., but don't end up covered in hives as long as I take my daily Claritin.

Yeah, random stuff sucks.  Sorry you're dealing with this.  :console:
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

« Reply #1464 on: January 25, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
How does everyone here keep track of mystery reactions like this, if at all?

When we go through times with random hives, which really happened moreso when the boys were younger, we just kept track on a piece of paper.  We wrote down everything they ate, kept track of what we were doing... or if we went somewhere.

Paired with that though was to sort of reduce the actual things we ate, and make sure they were easy foods that we knew were safe, or were just one ingredient.  So, no eating foods prepared outside of the house, and be super simple .... like rice with chicken. 

Also, we cut back on what we did or where we went.  Sticking to short outings.  Lots of wipes. 

It really all depended on how often it was happening.  We sort of lived in a way where sometimes it is like doing an elimination diet with your diet and your activities, and treating everything you touch as though you need to decontaminate after touching it.  Sometimes you are able to figure out what it is..... sometimes not.... as you slowly add foods back in or activities.
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1465 on: January 25, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
They have been paired with piercing stomach pains or other symptoms, and unaffected by daily double dose antihistamines.  Something is going on.  It was happening several times a week, with throat symptoms, back in November/December but we pinpointed those to wheat and sorghum.  Last night there was no wheat in anything but I used a cutting board that my husband cut bread on this weekend and may not have washed (now that I am thinking about it).  I never though to record location and activities, so I will make a new chart with those and bring it to the allergist. 

It has been over ten years since I have had to track mystery reactions.  Thanks for your input!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1466 on: January 25, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
I'm so sorry you're dealing with developing new allergies and the mystery reactions - it just plain sucks!

Three thoughts:

Stress - my sister had terrible hives (like hand-sized all over) while in college.  We finally pinpointed that they were stress induced.  Her asthma also flares with stress.  Also, stress responses can be triggered by good stress, too, not just the bad kind. 

Any chance you're developing a new allergy due to your relocation?  Perhaps even something environmental that's keeping your allergy cup full and causing you to react to things that normally wouldn't bother you?

Hormonal changes?  I know you're much too young for menopause, but maybe something's going on - might be worth checking.

I hope you can figure it out soon!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #1467 on: February 03, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
MIL made banana bread - first time I have been exposed to baking banana since my anaphylactic reaction in 1997.  We were gone most of the day while she was baking but it hit me the minute I walked in the house.  It started with itchy roof of mouth and back of throat.  I went upstairs to lay down and decompress.  I came down to make dinner and itchy throat started with itchy ears.  I took Benadryl. 

Trying to figure out if it is psychosomatic or real.  Could the heat release banana proteins?  MIL is being snotty about the whole situation.  I have strict banana rules because I do react to contact - washing hands, dry with paper towels, kids handle dishes, as babies they were fed bananas by someone other than me.  I do purchase bananas but I handle them like I am picking up dog poop with a produce bag.  I get random hives grocery shopping which I just assume are banana related.  Oddly enough three adults realized we were out of bananas over the weekend and each of us brought four home - hence the surplus.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1468 on: February 04, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
OH no, YKW!!  Did you know she was making banana bread before you had symptoms?  Regardless, I hope you either got out of the house or stayed but we're ok.  Thinking of you!  Please update us.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #1469 on: February 05, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
I had issues the next morning when I came down, so I avoided the kitchen.  I knew she was planning to bake, I had no idea it was banana bread though I had joked earlier in the week with the surplus of bananas, she might have to make banana bread.  She keeps huffing and puffing that I am making a mountain out of a molehill.  Same huff and puff I got when she was ordered to stop baking with wheat in the house when DS1 was having severe asthma response after.  We moved out shortly after the last brouhaha (because we needed a bigger house and she chose to stay in the prior home alone).  She developed a gluten sensitivity while living in the other house. 

Both times, DH has had to put his foot down and say no more.  The food allergy fight with her has been a long road.  She has seen the aftermath but it's not enough.  We have rules in place so everyone can eat the other's allergens.  Clearly banana bread baking should not happen anymore.  But it ticks me off that I was miserable and she blew it off.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA