Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

hezzier

Donated 8 epi pen trainers to the pool where DD is taking Lifeguard Training. 

SilverLining

Well that was dumb.

I am itchy. It's driving me crazy. I do not think it's an allergic reaction, though I don't actually know what it is. Decided benedryl would help so I took one. It tasted bad.  Checked the date. Expired Dec 2015.  :crazy: Not sure if it will work but don't want to take another. Sometimes medications get stronger.

On a bright note...I apparently haven't needed benedryl in over a year.

spacecanada

Feel better soon, SL! And kudos for not needing Benadryl in over a year.  I think that in itself is worth celebrating. When you are feeling better, that is. Maybe go buy a new box first.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

SilverLining

Apparently expired benedryl does still work...though I don't recommend it. Lol

I do have other forms of antihistamine available. We have to keep chewable or dissolvable on hand whenever we go to oldest ds' home because youngest ds' is severely allergic to the cats. Even the doctor is shocked at how severely he reacts.  Good news there is, Spring is coming and soon our visits will be in the backyard.

Janelle205

Strawberry nutrigrain bars do not have apple in the filling.  Raspberry nutrigrain bars do not have apple in the filling.  Blueberry nutrigrain bars do not have apple in the filling.

Mixed berry nutrigrain bars, which have a picture of a strawberry, a raspberry and a blueberry on the box and nothing else, have apples in the filling.

I'm fine, I didn't buy them or eat them and I only get them for DS and DSD as snacks.  But seriously.  This is what makes people with allergies crazy.

SilverLining

I never willingly change soaps or shampoos.

I had been using a pump bath soap which suddenly changed. I was disappointed, but I actually understood. It was a change because it was not environmentally friendly. It took a few attempts to find a new one that didn't cause reactions.

The shampoo I was using disappeared. I have no idea why. It was popular....sold out often. Just disappeared. So I switched to one that I had used occasionally. Didn't like it as much, but it was safe. And then they changed it. Not for a good reason either. They changed it to mimic a popular salon treatment. But...it's a shampoo. Not a treatment. Seriously....I'm not a hair expert, but all the experts say Not. The. Same. And, of course....itchy hives. Horrid nasty, itchy hives. Switched shampoos again. And now....they've "improved" it. i don't know what they've done, but I doubt it's improved.

I'm considering shaving my head.

PurpleCat

SL, that is not fun!

I used to have that struggle with DD when she was little, mid bath she'd start scratching and fussing!  I am so glad she outgrew coconut. It opened up a whole new world for us in that department!

Hope you can find something new that you like!

SilverLining

Ugh! I haven't even switched yet. But I keep getting itchy blotches from nothing. Right now, inside my wrist. Just red, dry, and itchy.

LinksEtc

I told myself that I wasn't going to post until this summer ... after dd gets the last of what she needs from her allergist (scripts, etc.) ...

but this used to be a main emotional support source for me ... habits ...

Anyway ... good news ... dd passed her recent sesame OFC.  She had a slight itching/tingling tongue, but that's it. She's been eating hummus & other things with sesame like crazy with no symptoms so the "pass" seems to be holding this time. She'll still need to carry an epi for a year.

I didn't go ... I really didn't want to ... my FA stuff & her medical condition of FA got too intertwined imo ... I just wanted them to focus on her ... so I sent my dh & dad.  Of course, she told me stories when she got home ... some of which made me laugh ...

plus my mom wanted me to go to a scan with her that day ... this scan, it turns out, led her onc dr to recommend hospice which is what we're doing now ...

so, I will remember that day.

There are a few general patient perspective thoughts (not specific to FA) that I'd eventually like to get back to here or elsewhere, but for that, I think that I will wait.

GoingNuts

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, Links.  That is so hard.  And to have that news intertwined with DD's wonderful news, makes it even more difficult.

But the sesame news is off-the-charts wonderful!  I'm so happy for your DD.  She's living the dream.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

MaryM

So sorry to hear about your mom. 
Wonderful news for your DD!

We weird allergy issue yesterday.  DD was helping me prep dinner.  She was peeling potatoes.  Her hands (palms) got very itchy.  She eats potatoes all the time without issue and has peeled potatoes for me before.  I gave her some Zyrtec bc she missed her dose in the morning.  She took a bath.  Her neck looked a bit red and was itchy too - we used some cortisone.  She put on shoes to go out to play and then said the soles of her feet were itchy - she did not have socks on which could have contributed.  She opted not to eat the potatoes which was fine for last night but I told her next time we have them she should. She was fine and ate her dinner and we played a game and that was it.   DH has an issue with corn on the cob.  He cannot husk it - he gets very itchy and a rash but he can eat the corn.  I wonder if DD"s issue is tied to her environmental allergies - lots of things outside bother her - grass, pollen, certain trees....

SilverLining

Happy for your dd, Links. That's wonderful.

So sorry about your mom.

Macabre

That is so wonderful about your DD links!! That amazing news!

I'm sorry that your mother's condition has progressed.  ((Hugs))

Fwiw I don't think our allergists spend time here reading.

:grouphug:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Mary I am the same with eggplant. I can eat it but get itchy prepping it. I think there a few other veggies where that happens.

I hope it's just a seasonal thing for your DD and not a new allergy. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview