FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384897 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1710 on: October 28, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
That is awsome.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1711 on: October 28, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »
That's wonderful, SL.   :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1712 on: October 28, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Yay!

I was at a travel trade show today and asked all the vendors about allergies. I found a new all-inclusive resort chain I can recommend to my clients - yay!!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1713 on: October 29, 2018, 05:53:26 AM »
Ok, I'll bite...where?

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1714 on: October 29, 2018, 09:02:43 AM »
Velas Resorts in Mexico.  I still have a bit more detailed research to do, but initial findings are very promising.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1715 on: October 30, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
As I was walking with DD and the 2 other kids in my carpool, one of them says something that DD and I did  not hear.  The other child tells her that is not cool and looks a but annoyed.  DD wants to know what was said.  First child begs other kid not to say.  DD persists and it finally comes out that the first child (only 10) asked the other child if he thought DD would have a reaction is she poured sour milk on her....WTF?  So, I stopped and very sternly told this child that that was unacceptable.  She said she would never so such a thing.  I told her I know that but food allergies are very serious and people can die from them.  I told her we do not make jokes and it will not be tolerated.   Ugh.  I feel bad in a way but I really shouldn't.  I kept my cool but was very stern and serious and I am sure I seemed a bit pissed too.  Then at the theater a mom asked if DD could have soft pretzels, I said yes but she most likely would not eat them and thank you for asking.  Then I told her I had to reprimand one of my carpool about something food allergy related and now had to text the child's mom.  Why am I worried that a 10yo heard me tell the other parent this?  I did not name the child when I was speaking to the other parent.  This Catholic guilt, lol.  I texted the mom and told her what happened.  She said she'd reinforce at home.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1716 on: October 30, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
 :grouphug:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1717 on: October 30, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
That was totally unacceptable, Mary! You did the right thing, and glad you got right in touch with mom.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1718 on: October 30, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
I let the other mom know what happened as well and told her I was very proud of her son's reaction.  She told me she has a cousin with food allergies that are airborne so she really gets it. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1719 on: October 30, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Well, that’s good that she gets it.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1720 on: November 03, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
Tonight after dinner we stopped in at a Greek bakery so DH could pick up a little treat for himself. He asked the young man behind the counter to describe several items, and he kept saying “this one has nuts”, or “this one doesn’t have nuts”.   When DH made his selection, the guy behind the counter again cautioned him about nuts. He then “educated” us about nit allergies.

Of course, someone with nut allergies shouldn’t be eating anything there, but it was nice that they try.  I just hope they don’t create a false sense of security.
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1721 on: November 11, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
I declined an invitation to go on an Ironman training trip with some friends because I don't want to hold them back athletically (they're super, super fast*), but more so because I don't want to have to eat alone and/or make anyone feel bad that I can only eat at one restaurant that isn't even close by, or my parents' house -- even farther away.  They're all talking about the fun places to eat and I would rather stay home than be the annoying sidekick with food allergies.   :'(

* I've been reassured that they will wait for me if/when I fall behind.  That's not even the real issue, but the main reason I was trying to use to politely decline the invitation.

My parents offered to come get me at meal times and/or bring me food each day.  I guess an allergy parent's desire to keep their child safely and sufficiently fed is never done, even when we're adults. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1722 on: November 11, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
I can definitely vouch for that last part, SC.  :yes:

It really stinks when FA’s get in the way of what you want to do.  :tongue:
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1723 on: November 15, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »
Allergy mom life: My almost 25 year old just flew to CA for a Moot Court competition. I’m totally stressed about him being away this weekend due to food. 

He just texted to let me know he landed, and I asked him how the flight was. He said, “Easy. No turbulence or peanuts”.  ;D
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1724 on: November 16, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
 ;D