FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384684 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline spacecanada

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1740 on: May 18, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
I took a look at the Ironman race package today.  I expected there to be nutty things at the aid stations, and there are some nutty energy bars.  What I didn't expect to be there were potato crisps at every run aid station!  I may actually have to hold my breath or run around the aid stations if people are opening and eating crisps all over the course.  Nuts don't aerosolise much in energy bar form, but potato crisps are a total snot fest with itchy eyes/ears/lips when people open and eat them close to me. 

Adding 'do not attempt to get water or a banana from the aid station' to my list of reminders for race day, and further complications due to food allergies.  I'll also double up on the antihistamines that day, take Ventolin before the run, and mention it to the medical officials at check in to make sure they know that if I'm wheezing on the run course it's more likely to be anaphylaxis than asthma.   :disappointed:

I planned to bring my own food and electrolyte drinks anyway, but was hoping to be able to get water if needed.  Time to adjust my plans. 

At least they specifically say in the race documents that racers requiring puffers or EpiPens need to keep them on their person at all times, which is awesome.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1741 on: June 10, 2019, 10:02:58 PM »
So I got an email from the middle school nurses office today informing me that all epi pens and inhalers would be sent home with the kids on Tuesday...

THERE ARE TWO MORE DAYS OF SCHOOL...WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY!!!

How did anyone in their right mind think this was a good idea?  If DS was younger and had more time in this school, then I would fight this, but he's done with this school in 2 days.  In years past, they have always sent them home on the last day.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1742 on: June 10, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »
What the... ???

We always picked up medications with our report cards a day or two after classes let out.  Kids usually end school on a Wednesday and report card pickup and was on Thursday and/or Friday. 

Sometimes people just don't think things through. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1743 on: June 11, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »
That's weird and seems risky!  Can your DS self carry for 2 days?  That is what I would insist on.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1744 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:54 AM »
He self carries anyway so I really wasn't worried about him, but what about the kid who forgot their epi or inhaler on one of the last two days of school...it's just bizarre to me.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1745 on: June 12, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »
I agree but selfishly am glad your son is covered!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1746 on: June 12, 2019, 07:11:28 PM »
So the story sort of continues...let's start with DS is fine and did not have a reaction.  He told me an ice cream truck was coming to school today so we discussed how this was risky, but that he could look and see if there was something like a bomb pop which he has had many times before.  I get a text at 11:30 that says "I went to get ice cream and I got a bomb pop. Only I got ahead of myself and took a bite with the candy and then saw it was processed in a facility with tree nuts".  I send back a text that says do you feel ok?  So my phone rings and I can tell he is emotional and explain that he is probably fine because so far as we know to date he has never had a reaction due to cross contamination.  The nurse gets on the phone and says he is physically fine, no signs of reaction.  I asked if he wanted to come home and he said yes.  So we talked about it and he told me as soon as he saw the label that he threw it away and told a teacher that he might have a problem.  He said he hadn't even finished the sentence about allergies and the teacher was on way with him to the nurses office.  It turns out it was a watermelon flavored bomb pop which he has never had that uses some sort of candy as the watermelon seeds.

Basically DS was scared and learned a good lesson about reading every label every time.

I said something to him about the epi pens and the nurses office...he said the nurse said they keep extras on hand so they were covered.  Ok fine for an epi, but do nurse's stock asthma meds too? 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1747 on: June 12, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »
Sounds like he did great!  Good that he was scared, you have taught him well.  Not easy I know.  But he handled it all very well.

Hugs to you Mom!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1748 on: September 19, 2019, 07:05:44 AM »
My husband was out for dinner and took a picture of the menu for me.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1749 on: September 19, 2019, 07:09:09 AM »
 :heart: :heart: :heart:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1750 on: September 19, 2019, 07:27:07 AM »
Wow!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1751 on: September 19, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
That's amazing!

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #1752 on: September 30, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
Finally have DD (age 18) possibly going to challenge a couple of nuts (pecans is one -- cannot recall other at moment).  Has been able to eat pistachios and pinon pinenuts safely for a couple years.

She has been declared not allergic to peanuts for 2 years.  Eats that away from home in some form.  (Thai food is her new crave!)

Other nuts still on the "NO" List = Almonds & Hazelnuts.  She is highly allergic to birch family on SPT and has OAS to cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines.  I am hoping along the way she will decide to do allergy shots for birch / trees / grasses and THAT might actually have benefit of lowering OAS and nut allergy to those 2?  We shall see . . . .

DS (almost 21!  HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!)  -- still high numbers on peanut and walnut.  Almond kinda high still.  MAYBE will challenge on a couple nuts when home from college (pecan is one . . . .).  Likely will be declared not allergic to pistachios -- so he could eat if we can find some not x-contam.  Been able to eat non-xcontam pinion pinenuts for some time too.

When done with college, will likely go for peanut OIT, depending on where he lives -- needs to be near allergist when first starting.  Walnut may turn out to be his permanent nemisis.

So, in a nutshell (yeah, pun intended   ;D  ) that is where we are.

DD is high school senior, so this is last year at home.  We are confident wherever she goes to college will be able to handle her food needs, if still necessary by next fall (2020).

DS is college junior and has navigated food allergies there with success.  The cafeteria has its issues and he does come home wanting certain foods because he cannot get safe versions at school.  But all-in-all has been do-able for him.

Having Auvi-Qs again for both of them has been FABULOUS.

~ ~ ~

~e
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1753 on: September 30, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
Such a wonderful update!!!!  So nice when our kids can expand their yes list of foods.  All the kiddos here have grown up so quickly.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1754 on: October 01, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
ajas!  Great update! 

Just got word today that my kids are finally at the top of the waitlist and we can schedule food challenges.  Baked egg for DS.  I was hoping pizza for DD but the allergist overseeing it (outs left practice) isn’t sure she’s comfortable with that.  If not pizza, then DD will do baked egg too.  19/28 & 10/30.