Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

That's a really good point. Their price point is not sustainable for long I fear.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

... which is really sad.

This is why I feel it is SO important to THANK companies that aren't necessarily marketing to a niche-- but whose policies make them reliable and readily available choices in the existing marketplace.

Gimball's.  PhillySwirl.  Etc.   :yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

YouKnowWho

But it helps to sell in Whole Paycheck to convince those to part with that kind of money. 

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

CMdeux

For anyone who wonders whether or not it's important to know if there are treenuts that your child is allergic to.... versus NOT (or at least 'not-that') allergic to...

DD's school Europe tour bus must be free of those anaphylaxis triggers that she is demonstrably aerosol/contact sensitive to (at least in a big way, KWIM?  Hives are one thing, but anaphylaxis rolling down the M40 somewhere south of Birmingham isn't ideal, to say the least.

The problem is that on a packed school tour, the kids HAVE to pack snacks.  They have to-- it's as much as 5-7 hours between meals, and there is a LOT of physical activity in that time.    Those snacks must be: a) lightweight, b) high energy, and c) shelf-stable.

Granola bars, energy bars, and nuts/seeds, right? 

Well, in that family of things it is REALLY important to avoid only those things which pose actual contact/inhalation risk to a person who is allergic.

For my DD, those things are cashews and peanuts.  Like, those things REALLY cannot be consumed within 5-10 feet of her, no matter how careful the handwashing or whatever is afterwards.

What this means, though, is that almond-based snacks are okay.   That's important for other people to know.

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

CMdeux

Kind of freaking out.

Okay-- not "kind of."

I am quietly freaking out.  Close to hysteria, in fact.

I feel distinctly like the proverbial headless chicken, which when you think about it is a completely grisly image that ought to scare the crapola out of anyone....  and really, thinking about chickens at a time like this??  I need to be figuring out cell phone usage in Europe... I need to be reserving a hotel in London... I need to be adding things to my packing list... I need to be printing forms... I need to be dropping those forms off for the allergist...

I'm sort of paralyzed by the weight off the sum of all of those seemingly small details-- because forgetting ANY of them is going to be catastrophic-- or cost more time later, at the very least.  Even my LISTS have lists... and everytime I walk away from the computer (or pen and paper) to actually DO anything, I remember more things that belong on lists, and then I forget them as soon as I could write them down...  I'm doomed.

What. was. I. thinking??    :hiding:

Western U.S.

Macabre

CMdeux

Yay!  London hotel!  Near the train station!  Near the V&A museum!  Near the Tower!  Near Hyde Park!

[spoiler]We're staying at the Hotel California in London. 

There's a certain irony here.  Yes.  This has not escaped me.  [/spoiler]

phones...phones... phones... I keep reminding myself that cell phones have made my life EASIER.  Really they have.  Must remind self of this again.    <muttering>

Western U.S.

LinksEtc

CM,

I hope you & your dd have a great trip.   :grouphug: for all the stress.  Hardly anything is risk free, but you are on top of this allergy stuff.  Lists are good ... you're a great planner ... I'm excited for you and will be hoping that all goes smoothly.   :smooch:

PurpleCat

ajasfolks2

With accepted offer on house and contingency nearly met

am realizing what a HUGE clean up we will have on inside of this home
as owners are nut lovers . . . oh the door and cupboard and handle and switch
cleaning!!

Perhaps cellphones could be programmed to do THAT?!
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

CMdeux

Oy-- this is the real reason that I dread ever moving again, Ajas. 

SO glad that you found a new house, though-- YAY! 

Western U.S.

Macabre

Ajas!! Congratulations!! I was pondering that just now when looking at some houses online.

CM--you mean, you can check out any time you want but you can never leave?  I think I might take that in that city!

CMdeux

I think maybe we're all secretly hoping, actually.

It's a five minute walk from St. James Square.  <swoon>

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview