login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 398183 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

twinturbo

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #630 on: May 03, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »
 :heart:

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #631 on: May 04, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »
Hope she is feeling better today, Links.  I hate asthma too.

I don't know if you have one, but using a pulse ox has really helped me as well.  I've kind of 'gotten used to' a lot of the early warning symptoms, so that helps me to see that things are going bad.  I ordered mine off amazon, and it wasn't very expensive.  I was a little worried about the quality at first, so I ended up getting the same one that my doctor uses in her office.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #632 on: May 04, 2014, 07:28:57 PM »
Thanks everyone.

She's still sick, but better than last night.  She's been watching Netflix all day  :).

We don't have a pulse ox ... it's probably not something that I would get unless her docs thought it was necessary.  Her current pulmo has me bring her in every few months and they really do a good job monitoring her asthma. 

Really, dd hardly ever shows any signs of having asthma except when she's sick.  Her asthma is much better controlled than when she was younger.

She's such a sweetheart (yes, I'm biased) ... but I think you all would  :heart: her.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #633 on: May 07, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
Oh my-- I hope things are well now at your house, Links.   :heart:

I just searched out this thread to note that living with food allergies means...

No good ever comes of a conversation starter that begins with...

"I don't know how you feel about alternative medicine, but--"

I cringe inside and think "don't-say-it-don't-say-it-don't-say-it" particularly when the word "chiropractic" is mentioned.

Ai yi yi.  I want to like people.  I do.  But when they imply that I just must not really want my daughter's allergies to get better... well, it's hard to take that particularly well, YK?

:-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #634 on: May 07, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »
Yes, she's great again ... thanks.  :heart:

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #635 on: May 07, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »
Bah to the chiro-wack.

I have had someone say those specific words to me: "It just seems like you must not really want to get better."  This felt particularly appropriate, since said person had just heard from my husband about how I had called over 20 pharmacies in 3 states and driven an hour and a half to get myself a certain medication.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #636 on: May 07, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
Yeah-- what I really resent is that LTFA means that when people say things like this to me, no matter how well-meaning, it's a barrier in my mind forever-- it's truly a black mark against them in my heart and mind from there on out, no matter how much I like them otherwise.  {sigh}

I could otherwise totally just shrug it off.  Really-- I'm that kind of person.  I can just smile while I'm thinking "Wow, that sounds like utter bull****" and rationalize it as 'well, it works for you, so who am I to judge...'

But not anymore.  And this was someone that I need to get along well with, potentially, and someone that I felt utterly at ease with and liked VERY much otherwise.  It was a serious bummer.  :-[  Complete with the personal testimonial about how awesome NAET was and how well it worked for them personally. 

Which just provides me with that moment of

"Oh, I see.  Well.  I think we're done here."

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #637 on: May 09, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:34:45 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #638 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
x
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:27:58 AM by PurpleCat »

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #639 on: May 13, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
On a busy road at 45 mph is NOT a great time to discover that there is a biting insect in your car.  Especially if you have had anaphylactic reactions to this particular species. 

I managed to flick it outside the car with a James Blunt CD.

twinturbo

« Reply #640 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:42 PM »
DS1 has been carrying an Auvi-Q in his back pocket occasionally. First step to self-carry.  :thumbsup:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #641 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
TT  :thumbsup:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #642 on: May 31, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »
Two things--

realizing as you're packing an evening bag that in fact, you DON'T happen to have a set of epis that isn't past the technical expiration date (though all probably still plenty good, given that some of them have been sitting in a ziploc baggie on a shelf at home as "backup" pairs for the past year)....

and opening up a corsage to discover that the florist oh-so-thoughtfully includes a little something extra sweet...

An ALMOND Hershey Kiss.   ~)   :dunce:

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #643 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
When dealing with an animal's medical emergency (of which I probably panicked far more than what was due - the vet says the kittens will be fine), reading a positive article about living with food allergies seems to have a calming effect.  (Probably because it's familiar.)  *sigh* 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Gray

« Reply #644 on: June 16, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
Interesting.

DD's latest blood test results came back a class 2 (moderate).  She has always had negative/equivocal blood tests with large SPTs.  She had to pass a challenge and start eating the food (and reacting) before it showed up on the blood test.  :D 

Is this a coincidence?  Sure, it could be, but my intuition/gut says not.  Well, if there is something to be learned from this odd situation, I am in a good place for that to happen.
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.