login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391746 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2013, 06:26:10 AM »
Congrats CM & Sky!!!  That's wonderful!    :heart:   I'm really happy for you both.

I like the little poem notashrimpwimp  :)    -   :paddle:  to "natural flavors", etc.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
Sky,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
One for each donut.

LOL

I know how your mom is feeling.  Did she get pics?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #242 on: October 08, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
Does a picture of the EMPTY package count?  I could still get one of those.  LOL!!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
Well, I guess so --- I was thinking of the pic of your DD eating her first store-bought donut.

I have a few pics like that of my kids and their "firsts" --- weird that we FA parents take pics of our kids eating foods for the first time .... LOL
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »
I have eaten 4 of a 6-box of jelly-filled powdered doughnuts. 

Saturated fat has never tasted this good.

Will post pics. 
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »
So happy for you.  And laughing as I read this.

twinturbo

« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
That Q&A from Sicherer about anaphylaxis from contact is a joke. Never, ever does he address contact-to-ingestion in the same response. Have I ever posted the sign from Sicherer's waiting room? Huge all caps that no food is allowed for the safety of patients. Apparently food has magical residue properties in his waiting room but not in a classroom. Another fine example of lab controls that don't exist in real life.

How much would I piss him off if I requested he start to include addressing external validity in his answer as Dr. Wood does. Enough to get our test results first then get pedantic later. Who in their right minds is worried about getting peanut butter on the small of their back for 30 seconds? Obvious answer: no one. So let's drop the polite fiction we're hysterical about peanut butter on our pinky toe in a lab when the true concern is the residue of a sticky, durable protein that is a known potent allergen very likely to induce anaphlaxis in extremely low dosage, yet unlikely to be outgrown, left by HANDS transmitted by hand or surface to other HANDS. Hands that kids use to eat with, pull at wiggly teeth, rub their faces.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:18:19 PM by twinturbo »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »
 :yes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/10/newser-alzheimers-peanut-butter/2961393/

That's just...  weird in the context of FA.

{brain melting}

Hmmm.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
That Q&A from Sicherer about anaphylaxis from contact is a joke. Never, ever does he address contact-to-ingestion in the same response. Have I ever posted the sign from Sicherer's waiting room? Huge all caps that no food is allowed for the safety of patients. Apparently food has magical residue properties in his waiting room but not in a classroom. Another fine example of lab controls that don't exist in real life.

How much would I piss him off if I requested he start to include addressing external validity in his answer as Dr. Wood does. Enough to get our test results first then get pedantic later. Who in their right minds is worried about getting peanut butter on the small of their back for 30 seconds? Obvious answer: no one. So let's drop the polite fiction we're hysterical about peanut butter on our pinky toe in a lab when the true concern is the residue of a sticky, durable protein that is a known potent allergen very likely to induce anaphlaxis in extremely low dosage, yet unlikely to be outgrown, left by HANDS transmitted by hand or surface to other HANDS. Hands that kids use to eat with, pull at wiggly teeth, rub their faces.

Have I told you lately how much I love you?

:smooch: :smooch: :smooch:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
What's bananas is he's a great doctor, extremely nice guy, and incredibly accomplished researcher. In person he is exacting (which I LOVE), not at all dismissive of concerns, and completely open to outliers. I think the problem is in two parts. First, he answers questions as asked so the primary responsibility lies in a faulty question. Note to Allergic Living, ask about contact-to-ingestion with population and ecological validity. Second, he's busy so one could reasonably assume a pat question receives a pat answer to save himself time so he can treat patients like my kids. He's got to cut some corners assuming he actually sleeps, eats and showers within a 24 hour period.

Off to go soothe self with gym and tasteless, chalky protein supplement.  :tongue:

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »
I think that I may be developing a blueberry allergy.

I refuse to believe this.  I need a ostrich/head in the sand smiley.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2013, 08:28:46 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/10/newser-alzheimers-peanut-butter/2961393/

That's just...  weird in the context of FA.

{brain melting}

I hope the patient remembers if they are allergic to pb.  Then they could use strawberries.  Because, for this specific test, a pb alternative would not work.

Offline krasota

« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
Picked up a package of Brach's candy corn hoping that this was the year they'd decided that they could go top 8 free and be in a dedicated facility.  (Hey, optimism.)

Realized after a few seconds I'd picked up a package of "candy corn and peanuts".  Yep.  Big ol' bag of shelled peanuts mixed in with candy corn.

Goodbye, optimism.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Allergies complicate doing a solid for one's mother. I know she loves nut and seed butters so I decided to drop in to the health food store in the complex I was visiting. I emerged, red-faced and hives-sprinkled. Apparently they have a peanut grinding machine too.

Then someone spilled their drink and I rushed to help clean it... only to discover it was of the strawberry variety.  :hiding:

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Picked up a package of Brach's candy corn hoping that this was the year they'd decided that they could go top 8 free and be in a dedicated facility.  (Hey, optimism.)

Realized after a few seconds I'd picked up a package of "candy corn and peanuts".  Yep.  Big ol' bag of shelled peanuts mixed in with candy corn.

Goodbye, optimism.

I must figure out how to transfer pictures from my phone to here.  I also picked up the same bag and was  <insert O.O eyes>

Is it a southern thing?  Must admit salty peanuts and sweetened candy corn sounded good.  Not enough to buy but I was intrigued.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA